Sign in to follow this  
diver dave1

Blue Heron Bridge Dive

Finally got a chance to put a few photos up from the recent trip to Florida. I only did one dive at Blue Heron Bridge. It was wonderful to see Laz again and do this interesting dive. National Geo will not be calling but I had fun taking the photo's.

Where else can you find batfish, seahorse, mimic octo, sea robin, dragonet, several crabs, puffers, burrfish, jawfish, mantis shrimp all in a distance of 50 by 100 m or less in about an hour?

http://www.shiningse...04620&k=bFncfjs

All but the Mantis and dragonet are uncropped. Not willing to get too near the mantis and the male dragonet was chasing a female. Was fun to watch but he would not stay still for long enough to get close. He was also playing a fun game with me, raising his display while moving, waiting until I am almost ready to shoot a photo then lowering it.

And the burrfish absolutely refused to let me get a head on shot.

I do not find Mimic Octo listed in my Humann-Deloach books for caribbean. They are common at BHB, are they rare elsewhere in the carib?

dave

Edited by diver dave1

Hi Dave,

Great shots - I often hear comments to the contrary, but I find the Caribbean interesting enough to hold my photographic attention for weeks at a time! As to the distribution of mimic octos, I'm not sure the one(s) in your photos are necessarily trying to minic something (although, they could be), or simply trying to get a look at their surroundings while offering the least amount of themselves to would-be predators. We saw the same behavoiur in Bonaire on a trip in '09.

Again, great photos!

Lee

Quite a gallery of rogues for just one dive :D What time of day did you do this?

thanks for sharing the photos!

John

Thanks for the kind comments. They mean a lot coming from the WP cast of reviewers.

John,

It was a bit before high tide, entering the water around 13:30.

Lee,

My only knowledge of it being a mimic is simple - my dive guide told me it was. I figure Laz knows more about what is there than most anyone else I can find. Your comments regarding its action are quite accurate, it was taking a peek around while hiding out.

I missed a photo of the spotted eagle ray that went by. Too quick for an old 105mm so I just enjoyed watching rather waste it with a worthless photo attempt.

I'm heading to the Blue Herron Bridge for a macro course through Reef Photo. I cant wait. I really enjoyed your pictures

Definitely not a mimic octo. That is a common octo doing what I call "periscoping". It is reaching up to get a look at you.

Really nice group of photos!

Edited by AllisonFinch

Looks like a Caribbean long arm octopus to me.

BHB is a great site

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements