Sign in to follow this  
Tidalstream1

Advice on manual focusing gearing Canon 16-35

New to the underwater photographic side & Just looking to acquire a package based around a 5D Mk 11 and an Aquatica housing & all the other bits that go with it such as domes,ports,arms,strobes - not sure where the list ends !!

But a question on the focusing arrangements for lenses on the Canon 16-35, I don't quite understand if I really need manual focusing gearing is this a necessity?

Thanks in advance for replies......

Hi Tidal,

Long answer to answer your question: Your 16-35mm lens is classed as a zoom lens. You have a great compositional tool in that you can zoom in and out underwater, and therefore you have more options to play with re: field of view, composition, sunbject selection etc. on a given dive.

if you want the ability to be able to zoom your lens underwater thro' the focal lengths of 16-35mm you will need a manual focus gear.

Otherwise, be prepared to use your 16-35mm lens at one fixed focal lens every time you dive with it.

i.e. you fix it at , say, 16mm- put it in your housing- and it stays at 16mm for the entire dive.

If you are prepared to do this, it kinda defeats the purpose of taking your 16-35mm lens underwater in the first place! :-)

Short answer: With a zoom lens, yes.

Hope this helps :-)

Edited by Damo

Ah that makes a lot of sense now ! many thanks for your reply Manta - & some quality images on your photo stream, very impressive. Your macro shots would be the type of shots that interest me,although I guess its spotting the little critters initially!

Ive been in the Philippines nearly 2yrs now & know that i'm missing so much by not taking advantage of an amazing underwater realm here.

thanks once again :-)

• Like 1

It's a zoom gear, not a focus gear (they fit to different parts of the lens) that you need. Using both can be a struggle in many housings.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements