JasonBoone

Red Filter Only Good to 70ft? Huh?

I'd missed this thread until today. I'm a firm advocate of using a filter when it is required, so when exactly do we need to use them? Well regardless of the science behind filters, what they do and what they don't do, the only actual reason to use one is to aid your camera to Manual White Balance underwater.

If your camera is capable of getting decent MWB results underwater without a filter (like many DSLR's appear to be) then you don't really need to use one. If on the other hand you are using a more traditional video camera then you almost certainly will need to use one as it will prove difficult to MWB below a certain (often ridiculously shallow) depth without a filter. It's pretty much as simple as that. Yes by using a filer you will loose 1 - 2 stops of light or even more, but with the sensitivity of some of the latest cameras this is becoming far less of an issue. Many of us were using filers with the first gen of HDV cameras and before that DV with great results and the low light sensitivity of those cameras was nothing when compared to the ones available today.

Jason - those images would be easy to colour correct, you just need to move your whites and midtones towards the blue end of the spectrum as there is too much red in them. I'd much rather have too much red in an image though as it is very easy to correct when compared to too much blue! You can also sharpen them a bit and you 'may' be surprised to find that some would be useable even though they were shot out of focus. Would also agree on MWB using your palm, brown coral, or sand rather than a white slate.

Jason,

To address the focusing issue. I find, if I am shooting wide angle, I just hit the AF-ON button to autofocus on something a few feet away. With an aperture of F8 to f11 most everything should be in focus at that point. I find now that only about 5% of my shots are out of focus. But since I have started just using the center focus point, it seems to be even better. (I use the mark ii).

Macro, you pretty much have to do manual focus.

Keep going. The mark iii will give you killer footage. you just have to get used to it. I also second the white balance on the hand, sand etc.. the white slate just doesn't seem to get it very good.

hope that helps.

Dustin

I had my second dive on the Duane in Key Largo last month, and success! My focus was pretty sharp. I used the red filter once again, and I must say that the red color in my mid tones, especially in the blue water and on the edges is really bothering me. I am going to experiment without the red filter on this wreck next time and see what kind of results I get. I did once again white balance on a large dive slate. I will also experiment with balancing on the hand and sand. My hand is pretty small though, and I can't see filling the entire screen with my hand.

So... instead of posting more screen shots from my second dive, I figured I would post the video! This is a rough cut and I would really love to hear all opinions and suggestions on how to make it better. To put this in context, let me first explain that I am a grad student and I am creating a video travel guide website for scuba spots in Key Largo, and this is one of the short-form documentary videos that I just finished and will be included in my travel guide.

I am interested to hear if my colors are acceptable for the underwater footage. I also would like to hear how you liked the video as a whole. If it provided useful information, if it inspires you to dive this spot, etc. Also, is there any information missing that you would like me to include? Please give me feedback!!

The USCG Duane

https://vimeo.com/57187154

password: dive

The video is password protected, and the password is dive.

- Jason

Oh and by the way, here is a pic of my setup if you were wondering.

It's a Canon T2i in an Ikelite housing with an 8" dome port. I am using a Tokina 10-16mm lens with a redfilter. You can also see my nifty tripod setup, which I did not use at all while shooting the Duane.

Camera_Side-Angle_zps55667022.jpg

Camera_Front-Angle_zps8681d288.jpg

Camera_Corner-Angle_zps9487388c.jpg

Camera_Back-Angle_zpscfa1abc9.jpg

Edited by JasonBoone

Sponsors

Advertisements