Sign in to follow this  
rstark

Aquatica CP5000 Extended Battery

I finally finished the extended battery project for my Aquatica CP 5000.

See posts:

http://www.wetpixel.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic...t-battery.phtml and

http://www.wetpixel.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic...t-battery.phtml

I ended up using the Ikelite accessory case with six 2100mAH batteries. This should last all day without losing power. I' post some pics later if anyone is interested.

Here is a few quick pictures of it. I still need to mount the ULCS ball so I can attach it to a 3-ball clamp. It's a pretty tight fit but it works great on dry land. I think I'll pool test it first.

DSCN9860.jpg

DSCN9863.jpg

Hi, have you tested it by now? Busy building something similar, so very curious about the results, especially runtime that you achieved....

edwin

Robert.........sweet design.........how does it work?

Karl

I did pool test it and everything works great. THe run-time is more than I need. If anyone has the MB5000 battery pack you'll know what I mean. I haven't been diving for a while because I no longer have a buddy. I am going to join a local club but am still scouting them out so until then It won't see any real depth. I don't imagine any problems though as the case is rated to 300' and the only modification was the Ike bulkhead.

Edwin, what are you working on? Any photos?

Thinking about the same concept you use. Right now I'm trying to buy or build something to put the batteries in. Would like the Ikelite case you have but can't get it over here (the netherlands).

So I'll have to visit some more shops or make something out of a piece of plastic. No experience in this, so I try to avoid this kind of work. I still have an old ikelite housing, so I took off the flash connector.

For my strobe (ds-125) I'll probably buy the manual controller. In this case I can use the existing connector on the housing so I don't have to drill a hole in my housing, which is something I would prefer. Also I can also switch back to the original config whenever I want to.

Was curous if 6 cells is enough because on the camera it says 8.4V.

If you're desparately looking for a buddy you can always come over of course :-) :-) Water is about 4 degrees © and visibilty after this weekends winds is about 2"

OK, finally finished... Did a test last week, lifetime is even better than expected. Did 70 minutes in 8 degrees © water, 80 pictures and still had over 50% left in my batterypack.

Ike's manual controller arrived and works perfectly, so don't have to drill a hole in my housing :-) :-)

Rob, Edwin

Looks like a great opportunity to make some $$! I would be the first in line to buy one if any of you goes commercial with this :)

Woody

Aquatica A5000 & Single YS-90DX strobe

Woody,

If I didn't have some of the parts already I think it would have been too much money. The setup really starts adding up when you have to buy the sync cord otherwise I would build and sell them.

Rob's right on the pricing. If you have to buy it all, gets pretty expensive. Short list: Cannister (used one fromOMS, $60), batteries $20, charger $30, electronics to avoid deep discharges $15. This part is ok, but now: sync-cord+manual controller (for flash) $250. All together wil be around $400 or something like that.

Can probably be done cheaper if you use other connector & cable types, but I didn't want to make any extra holes in my housing. Besides wanted to switch to the manual controller. Now, off to the red sea in a couple of days :-) :-) Will try to get some pictures on my website one of these days...

Forgot to post a few oics of the extended battery setup.

DSCN9946.JPG

DSCN9947.JPG

Tested last week. Lifetime is now 4 dives of about an hour :-) Using 7 cells NiMH, 2100 MAh. Buid circuitry that switches off batt pack wehen reaching 1 volt/cell, but never came to that point. Works great, just a pity my ds-125 quit after 3 days. Will probably have to send it to ike (again).....

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements