echeng

Wetpixel Ultimate Indonesia 2012 Trip Report and Slideshow

good stuff Jenny! I seem to recall you doing that on the couch last time too.. :)

Thanks Mike. This time I was sure the Arif bandana and sunglasses would have done the trick

Not such a colourful sea apple as yours from Komodo - but this one is with a frogfish and I did get quite close. Ambon harbour which was extremely disgusting

8295766416_abf8a87a16.jpg

Drove myself quite mad trying to get a decent shot of these small Pontohi

8290771308_33971c5bed.jpg

These were more my size

8289730229_0231939ace.jpg

And there was a bit of wide-angle skills backsliding with the occasional good shot. I blame the milky viz

8289718733_0d4805e93d.jpg

Edited by Jenny

Oh and these two classics,

from Raja Ampat, Boo windows

8290786148_61ce316fa9.jpg

and fromTriton Bay, flasher wrasse with some great post prod magic from Dan KozynDan Kitchen.

8290773214_c3fcb88e4d.jpg

Edited by Jenny

Too excited to see a wonderpus to actually change a single setting on my camera, so the pics were all lousy - but i saw one! Near Air Manis Jetty, Ambon.

8289167548_861ea5d941_b.jpg

Wonderpus!! by kozyndan, on Flickr

Agree with Douglas and Jenny that Trip 2 was simply excellent! Primo diving, compadres and crew. Wish I was on trip 3 but scheming to get back to Raja Ampat and Misool for another fix. What a gem of a destination . . .

Here are clips of a sampling of dive sites from Trip 2. First time using the Canon 5D Mark III video capabilities and no tripod in tow so lots of room for improvement. Started with wide angle only . . . baby steps. This plays best in HD.

https://vimeo.com/56278300

Edited by shazzah

Some wide angle and macro images. What a great Wetpixel expedition! Hope to join another one . . .

post-29079-0-21995000-1356583930_thumb.jpgpost-29079-0-09488000-1356583943_thumb.jpgpost-29079-0-85025200-1356583950_thumb.jpgpost-29079-0-84760400-1356583983_thumb.jpg

Edited by shazzah

Here are clips of a sampling of dive sites from Trip 2. First time using the Canon 5D Mark III video capabilities and no tripod in tow so lots of room for improvement. Started with wide angle only . . . baby steps. This plays best in HD.

https://vimeo.com/56278300

Hey Sharon, really fantastic video - you have captured the look and feel of those dives beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing it. Together with Eric's video, and everyone's stills, we have a wonderful record of these trips to treasure.

Hello all, greetings from Komodo!

Nice to see your final images, it was great to spend time with you all on Damai 2, we must do it again sometime!

Sharon-Sadly the connection in Labuan Bajo cannot handle your videos but when I get back to Bali in January I will be sure to look them up.

Jenny- are you sure you arent still hiding in the laundry room living on Nutella??

Dan- I LOVE your Wunderpuss image!

Anway, I hope to have the pleasure of seeing you all again sometime soon. Eric, thanks for bringing them out to see us, it was a pleasure and an inspiration to spend time with you and Douglas.

Best

Simon

post-25314-0-55476400-1356617494_thumb.jpg

post-25314-0-09375500-1356617553_thumb.jpg

Of course a special thanks to Douglas for bringing the Fluo-diving equipment aboard, I had a great time with it!

post-25314-0-16788300-1356617924_thumb.jpg

post-25314-0-05364800-1356618802_thumb.jpg

post-25314-0-00154200-1356618848_thumb.jpg

Dear all,

What can I say. It was the ultimate Indonesia trip. The Damai Dua is more like a fine piece of hand crafted furniture than a boat. What's more the crew, their service, the ridiculously spacious quarters, attention to detail and fine food are hard to praise adequately before you even get to a discussion of the diving. It's clear from the posts above that the diving and photographic opportunities were amazing. Our fellow guests were the icing on the cake. This is my first attempt at posting on the wetpixel site so please bear with me. Many thanks to all!

post-23285-0-85277700-1358127149_thumb.jpgpost-23285-0-68003600-1358127257_thumb.jpgpost-23285-0-16714000-1358127385_thumb.jpg

Canon 7D in Nauticam housing with twin Inon Z240

8-15 f4L fisheye zoom or 100 f2.8L IS macro

Here is a typical day aboard the Damai - feast your eyes!

Sunrise:

post-23285-0-90770200-1358127985_thumb.jpg

Mid day:

post-23285-0-18099500-1358128114_thumb.jpg

Sundown:

post-23285-0-32941000-1358128201_thumb.jpg

What a view, what a boat!

post-23285-0-33149600-1358128293_thumb.jpg

There were plenty of neat creatures to photograph:

post-23285-0-34900200-1358128416_thumb.jpg

post-23285-0-61876000-1358128479_thumb.jpg

post-23285-0-20125300-1358128512_thumb.jpg

Including humans:

We agree with Emily and Simon - dangit he's cute!

post-23285-0-09806700-1358128606_thumb.jpg

A little reef hook chain gang:

post-23285-0-50013400-1358128665_thumb.jpg

Simon you rock above and below the sea:

post-23285-0-19742000-1358128687_thumb.jpg

And many thanks to our dive masters and the boat drivers that made it all happen:

post-23285-0-66607300-1358128706_thumb.jpg

An unforgettable experience deficient only in superlatives for description.

All my best,

Mike

Dear Starfish,

In 15 years on liveaboards around most parts of Southeast Asia, this is the very first time I have read something like this and I am shocked about the way you describe the event, the exaggerations and the twisting of the truth you have published on this Forum. Not only are you creating a bad image for WAOW but you are also attacking me personally, accusing me publicly of things I have not done and all that, without knowing me or let alone even having ever talked to me. As we all know, there are always 2 sides to a story and I do take the opportunity to just put it down here as you are the one who has initiated this, for reasons unknown to me.

1. "Simon and the dive guides returned from the WAOW and told us we would wait another half hour to go in".

==> When Damai came to the site we already were anchored close by all morning, they were clearly told by WAOW's dive crew, that we would go diving in 30 minutes! Damai has not respected this by launching at the exact same time as our crew had told them we would! If Damai can not wait any longer for whatever reasons, then Damai can chose about 10 different dive sites in close proximity and go and dive there at their desired time.

2. "WAOW's tenders roared up to us and their dive director, began screaming at all of us and using tremendous but not very creative profanity."

==> Roaring over in a fully loaded chase boat? Not possible mate. I shouted over - as we are on the sea and not in a closed room, so it is better to talk in a loud voice - and asked whether the Cruise Director had gone in or not and whether he would know the rules and regulations of proper dive operator conduct around Raja Ampat.

3. "This terrible dive guide (identifiable by his large pony bottle strapped to his tank and his board shorts) comes by and intentionally gets between our divers and the mantas and violently exhales to spook the mantas…

==> There are 3 of us diving with Pony's and 2 of those 3 sometimes wear board shorts. Also we do actually have videographic evidence, that this statement is simply a lie and put up here for the sole purpose of giving WAOW and myself a bad name! Besides that, it was not "Mantas" but just one Manta and that one being way too far away to have been spooked by any form of bubbles whatsoever, no matter how violently one would exhale through his regulator.. And lastly, why should I who loves creatures such as Manta Rays, possibly do such a thing??? I do supply Misool Eco Resort as well as "Manta Matcher" with "fingerprint" images of Manta Rays to do my part in identifying and knowing more about these magnificent animals...

And to put an end to this my dear Mr. Starfish, I actually called Damai Dua's interim Cruise Director over the radio and asked him what this was all about? I was simply told, in a very arrogant tone, that he needed to go diving and that he could not wait because he needed to head back to Sorong because his guests would fly out the next day. Well... So did ours!

My questions to you Mr. Starfish are rather simple: Are we still in the Kindergarten or are we adults? What’s the point in making a big fuss out of it on an open forum? What's in it for you?

Regarding the posts between Yellowmon & Mr. Moony:

In all my travels, I've never seen divers intentionally disrupt another groups dive in progress.

Perhaps a bit more grace would be in order. Or maybe a career change?

• Like 1

Jay, thanks for coming and posting your side of the story. There are, of course, always two sides to any story, and since none of the rest of us were there, we'll really know what happened. It's clear that people were upset on both sides, though, which is unfortunate, given the fact that you were all there to see something so beautiful. I hope you and Douglas can come to an understanding privately.

I certainly know no more than what was posted here. BUT, Mr Moony, your post was one of the hottest and most unprefessional ones I have read. I am sure you could have stated your side of the story without coming off as the hothead I now believe you must be. While I may not have avoided your boat based on the one story, your hotheaded response will definitely make me think twice before booking with your operation. And, I spend at least one month every year in the region.

and asked whether the Cruise Director had gone in or not and whether he would know the rules and regulations of proper dive operator conduct around Raja Ampat.

Actually if the WAOW had been anchored close to Blue Magic all morning then it is the WAOW that is breaking Raja Ampat Code of Conduct. Boats should only be at a dive site for a maximum of 2 hours and then move on.

But as a manager at a land based resort in the Dampier Straight for 2.5 years I can confidentley say that most of the boats do not adhere to this rule, much to our frustration and dissapointment.

Great photos Buck! I especially love the Damsel, great colours from the fish and the acropora polyps.

and asked whether the Cruise Director had gone in or not and whether he would know the rules and regulations of proper dive operator conduct around Raja Ampat.

Actually if the WAOW had been anchored close to Blue Magic all morning then it is the WAOW that is breaking Raja Ampat Code of Conduct. Boats should only be at a dive site for a maximum of 2 hours and then move on.

But as a manager at a land based resort in the Dampier Straight for 2.5 years I can confidentley say that most of the boats do not adhere to this rule, much to our frustration and dissapointment.

Great photos Buck! I especially love the Damsel, great colours from the fish and the acropora polyps.

Hi Ross,

Getting the facts right is the key to some good argumentation mate...

Therefore here are some distances for you to consider before making such a statement.

- Anchorage to Blue Magic: 1.4 n. m.

- Anchorage to Mioskon 0.9 n. m.

- Anchorage to Sardine Reef: 1.9 n. m.

- Anchorage to Mike's Point 2.5 n. m.

All distances are within easy reach of our 3 tenders, without needing to rise and drop anchor on multiple occasions or to unnecessarily waste Diesel whilst standing by closer to the dive sites just so that I did not stay "immobile" for more than 2 hours...

By the way, all our outboards are environmentally friendly 4-stroke engines and pollution is therefore much less than with 2-stroke engines.

I also have 2 times 200 meters of chain on my anchors so I really do not need to get close to the dive sites and always anchor in deep water.

Now as you can see, I can confidently say that the distances we anchor away from the closest dive site or from any reef is much further away than any regulations require and if I would like to anchor there for 6 hours, 8 or 10 hours, then I think that I can do so without disturbing anyone, don't you think?

Cheers and see you next season,

Jay

Sponsors

Advertisements