JimG

Unknown Damsel

Taken in Ari Atoll, Maldives

post-2843-0-14018000-1355244101_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimG

Perhaps a sub adult Pacific Gregory (Stegastes fasciolatus)

My first thought was ovate chromis (C ovatiformes) but that one isn't found that far West. Checking for chromis that can be found in the Maldives it turns out to be Chromis xutha.

(see images on fishbase: http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountrySpeciesSummary.php?c_code=462&id=12437)

Bart

Chromis usually have a deeply forked tail fin. Looking at Randall's images of Chromis xutha on Fishbase it's hard to see the tail except in this image which shows a distinctive fork and streamers on the tail, so I don't think Chromis xutha is a match.

Hi Brian,

I think Jim's image is compatible with a forked tail and it definitely shows streamers from the upper tail tip. Stegastes also has a forked tail, but to my knowledge, never streamers. And Stegastes have a characteristic "protruding" snout with a very concave shape just below the mouth. Maybe Jim has another image that shows the tail better or still remembers what the fish looked like.

Bart

I had forgotten all about this one.

I have other pics but they don't show the tail. I have lightened the dark areas and brought out the tail and will go along with C. xutha. I have found a fairly similar pic in Kuiter's Fishes of the Maldives.

Many thanks Brian & Bart

post-2843-0-86246100-1371461297_thumb.jpg

Edited by JimG

Sponsors

Advertisements