Sign in to follow this  
RWBrooks

New short films

Say when Steve...

My wife & i would be up for that in a heartbeat. It probably wouldn't take much to get Jon Shaw over there also.....

Maybe a wetpixel video trip to palau is in order soon?

Maybe the end of next year?????

Cheers Pete.

• Like 1

Here are two articles...

Those are very useful articles Steve. The workflow is quite similar in Vegas, although that filter in Vegas does not have the luminance sliders built in. If I'm doing primary colour correction with a 3-way colour corrector I normally do the lows and highs first, then the midtones last. I find that works best. I pick with the complementary color picker and select a rectangular marquee to make sure it doesn't pick up 1 rogue pixel that is different from the surrounding ones. Is it possible to select a rectangular marquee with the picker in FCP?

Richard, if you're getting into this stuff, one of the first things you should look at is controlling the highlights. Sony HDV cameras shoot nominally 16-255 by default. The highlight values 235 to 255 are "broadcast illegal" and will be clipped to flat white when going to disc or broadcast or even YouTube/Vimeo. Sony DV, HDV and most AVCHD cameras just do that (see a list here). If I'm shooting wide on auto exposure with my Z1 I tend to set a negative A/E shift in its settings to try and avoid the blown out highlights.

Edited by Nick Hope

Nick...I usually start with bringing down the blacks a touch before I move to the rest of the image. CC is especially hard for me as I am color blind in reds and greens but I have learned to compensate for it and to make sure I have someone check it out before I publish. The one thing I really miss in the FCPX color corrector is the auto white balance with the eye dropper and I never, ever use the auto color corrector in X. I think it actually can ruin the shot.

Happy Holidays

Steve

Edited by Drew
Removed solicitation

Nick, I've contemplated knocking back the A/E shift a tad but find that I need to swap back often, so tend to utilise the ND filters instead which is far quicker to adjust through the Gates, especially when I'm combining a wide shot in a cave (Blue Holes) without CC filter and with lights or when I'm shooting Macro.

As you can all tell, I'm new to post CC as most of the work I've been doing so far is run and gun.

Thanks for all the tips

Richard

Thanks - that side by side comparison was useful.

Original is now updated with CC version.

Thanks for all the links, tips and pointers.

Richard

That's some very mild CC. To my eye the difference is very slight. Shows that your MWB is pretty much spot on. But reducing that yellow hue in a number of clips definitely improves them. You could go further with it in the close up of the giant moray at 01:00. Also I think there is scope to generally darken the lowlights a little for a bit more "punch". But then it's all down to taste.

Edited by Nick Hope

Editing is one of those things where I learnt quite early on that you can tinker and fiddle with it till the end of the world or you get as close as you can given the time constraints and publish it before everyone dies of boredom waiting for it.

Seeing as we only have a day or two left anyway. I'm having a beer and enjoying the outside world.

TTFN see you on the flip side!

Richard

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements