Timmoranuk

Solo Diving - an A to Z of operators who allow and those who don't

Wakatobi will let you solo dive on their house reef with a self-reliant diver cert or equivalent. They do make you take a pony tank and the current can be fierce, so be careful.

Wakatobi will let you solo dive on their house reef with a self-reliant diver cert or equivalent. They do make you take a pony tank and the current can be fierce, so be careful.

Does "hundreds of dives of solo experience" translate to "equivalent?" I'm not going to take a class now. In the 90s, I did buy a pony rig and carry it, back when I strung all sorts of crap from my d-rings, before seeing the benefits of the DIR/HOG divers. Yes it was a redundant supply, but at the risk of snag points and extra poundage. A 13ft pony is essentially the same 500 psi reserve, so I stopped bothering. In hindsight, an H valve would have addressed it far better.

Appreciate the comment about current. I had an illusion from their lovely brochures that this wasn't present there, even though that would make little sense. Current quite often translates to life. But I made that mistake with Anilao and my wife was a bit upset. She can do camera, or current, but not both.

From a liability standpoint, hundreds of dives of solo experience means far less than a card issued by recognized training agency... As much as that might not mean much to you, it certainly means a lot when attorneys get involved.

Just my 2¢...

and yet, the California dive industry somehow managed to survive, despite being charted in the US, unlike virtually every liveaboard outfit in the world. The DMs don't even get in the water.

The exposure is non existent, and the protective benefit from litigation this move would make is equally so. It's like the outfits that put an AOW requirement for deeper dives or night dives, even knowing how pointless that cert card has become. (It's shocking how expensive it's gotten as well - what used to be a silly $99 cert is now 3-5x that)

I've found this thread and several others on here very useful in bookings some upcoming trips - as such I've registered and will add some info of my own info current as of summer 2019:

Horizon Divers Florida - Taught me the SDI Solo course and, obviously, is friendly to anyone with a suitable qualification since they are teaching it.

Scuba Club Cozumel - Did not object when I mentioned solo shore dives when booking. Anything in the Marine park must be guided per Cozumel law.

Red Sea Blue O2 - Claimed CDWS prohibits all Solo Diving (which is incorrect per CDWS's own website). I didn't bother to write back.

Red Sea Grand Sea Explorer - Fine with card. Mentioned it would be at the boat crews discretion and for some dives may not be allowed (having been there before, this is reasonable).

Bonaire Beyond the Corals - not equipped to support directly but did not object in principle. Mentioned rental pony's available from nearby shops.

It is worth mentioning that there are previous posts indicating Blue O2 is Solo friendly - apparently this has changed. Lying about it being a CDWS decision is completely unacceptable, however.

Anyways, hopefully this is helpful to others.

Sponsors

Advertisements