BrianM

Frogfish Species?

These frogfish photos were taken in Manado, Indonesia.

The lure is very long and distinctive, but I'm having difficulty identifying the species.

The body seems to have no distinguishing marks, except for some thin red filament lines on the side and near the tail.

8290539623_3e1550a91e_b.jpg

8290539769_55e1022cec_b.jpg

8290539951_2477daae18_b.jpg

hey nice find and sorry I cant help with the id but that's no lure, it's a skeleton shrimp :)

• Like 2

but that's no lure, it's a skeleton shrimp smile.png

Hmmm.....you could be right, I thought something about it looked familiar.

Perhaps the skeleton shrimp felt sorry for the frogfish and decided to help with the luring.

I am pretty sure that it is a Randall's frogfish. Cool find, and a nice touch with the skeleton shrimp!

Cheers Bent

Thanks Bent. There does appear to be a white spot behind the eye, which is supposed to be diagnostic for Randall's

brave shrimp :) those guys always remind me of the worm aliens in Men in Black (the ones always hanging around the offices making a mess)

I always think that Skeleton shrimp look like they are doing the Macarena...but then that's dating me. :) Think about the song the next time you see one. You will smile.

Cheers,

Marli

I always think that Skeleton shrimp look like they are doing the Macarena...but then that's dating me. smile.png Think about the song the next time you see one. You will smile.

Cheers,

Marli

Marli, do you do the dance when you find a skeleton shrimp, so that your buddy knows what you've found?

Sponsors

Advertisements