Sign in to follow this  
scubamarli

Strobe misfiring

I have an SB105 stobe that started acting up after performing flawlessly on a tropical trip. In our chilly waters, it doesn't always fire. As I have 2 camera bodies and a number of synch cords, including an now obviously unnecessary new one, the strobe misbehaves in every combination. On land it fires just fine every time. The strobe was serviced by Nikon about 10 months before the problem as preventive maintenance. How would cold temperatures create this issue, or is it just an evil coincidence? The contacts have been cleaned.

Furthermore, before I enlist Nikon's help (is that an oxymoron??), does anyone have any suggestions to troubleshoot the problem. Frankly, I just bought another new SB105 on EBay for slightly more than Nikon's charge for an "annual" service, which they recommend every two years.

Marli

If you really suspect the cold why don't you hook everything up at home, dunk it in some ice water in your tub or a large cooler and try to replicate it. If this causes the problem then try to narrow it down by submerging just the strobes, then just the camera. Maybe the contacts are just barely touching at room temp and when they are very cold they contract slightly and loose contact (just a shot in the dark).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements