Hey all you underwater photographers out there I could use your help.

I have a new Aquatica housing for my 5D Mark II that I will be taking to Grand Cayman this weekend. I am having problems with the ports on the front of the housing (both Macro and Wide Angle) causing the housing to rotate upwards. In addition, I have a new viewfinder that I have installed on the back of the housing that is a bit heavy. This further exacerbates the problem by tending to rotate the back of the housing downwards.

I can see that this will cause undo strain on my wrists while fighting this rotation and was wondering if anyone has had a way to correct this problem.

I am using STIX floats on UCLS arms with two 110 alpha Sea and Sea strobes on the ends.

If I draw the strobes back far enough towards me then this tends to offset the rotation problem. However, it becomes a problem again if I want to move the strobes closer to my subject in that the ports rotate the camera upwards.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

You Might try adding some weights to the ports as seen here:

http://www.uwcameras...ort_weights.htm

Thats pretty cool, but I don't know what they are gonna think at the airport when you show up with a huge camera housing covered in lead! :D

If you don't have enough time to work out a solution like Bliecap suggested then I would simply get some ankle-weights that some people use when diving in a dry-suit.

Ankle weights are normally lead-shot in a nice rectangular bag, perfect to fit around your extension ring on the dome or directly around your macro port.

see here http://www.amazon.com/DUWARD-SCUBA-Weights-Regular-Approx/dp/B006KGBZOI

Of course you will need someone with a bit of sewing skills to fix a longer strap on them so it will reach around your extension, I've seen this done with superdomes in the past and it seems to work quite well! :)

Have a great trip!

-Morten

Or if you have no time to get someone to sew it together, just use cable-ties!

Sponsors

Advertisements