Sign in to follow this  
bskousen

Wide angle lens for camcorder

I just purchased an ikelite housing for my Sony digital 8 camcorder (dcr-trv740). I was wondering if purchasing a wide angle lens from Sea & Sea that attaches to the dome port externally is almost a necessity. I have a housing for my Canon Rebel 35mm slr in which I have been taking still images for years, but am new to underwater videography. I visit my sister on Maui, HI every summer and I decided I was bored with doing still images all the time. Do most of you use autofocus and have you had much problems with it? I could see how autofocus could go crazy with particulates in the water. Thanks. Bruce Skousen:)

I think the trick is to set the focus to infinity and there will be little or no focus hunting. On the PC110 it works pretty well. The only problem is that my Gates housing doesn't control that feature very well, the arm is a little too short.

Bill

Wide angle lenses are not as essential in uw videography as they are in still photography because most videographers rely on red filters to replace color. If you choose to use lights most of the time, you will want a wide angle lens to allow you to get close enough to large objects (divers) to illuminate them. You will quickly find, however, that it is difficult and annoying to try to get within 2-3 feet of divers to get decent images, then hold for 5-10seconds or longer. Forget the wide angle lens, use a red filter, and you'll get great quality for starters.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements