Sign in to follow this  
echeng

Bi-Monthly Photo Contest with Significant Prizes

Hello, readers. I'm excited to announce a new photo contest here at Wetpixel.com. If you have time, please forward the entire press release on to anyone you think might be interested (friends, local underwater photography societies, mailing lists, etc.)!

-----

PRESS RELEASE

Wetpixel.com Announces Bi-Monthly Photo Contest with Significant Prizes

San Francisco, March 22, 2004 - Wetpixel.com, a website dedicated to the sharing of information about digital underwater photography, has announced a new bi-monthly underwater photography contest for both digital and scanned film images, which will compete on even footing for significant prizes donated by sponsors Aquatica, Pictopia, Ikelite, Gates Housings, Ultralight Control Systems, Marine Camera Distributors, and INON America. Contests will run every two months, and at the end of the calendar year, grand prize winners will be chosen and awarded prizes valued at more than $5,000 USD! Entering the contest is completely free.

Winners will be chosen by a jury of acclaimed underwater photographers including Dr. Alex Mustard, Andy Sallmon, Chris Bangs, David Fleetham, Douglas David Seifert, James Watt, Stephen Frink, and members of Wetpixel staff.

The first photo contest ends on April 30th, and additional contests will run through the end of June, August, October, and December 2004.

Wetpixel.com also runs a "Photo of the Week" contest for amateur photographers just getting started in underwater photography. Winners are published on Wetpixel.com's home page and receive a $30 credit at Pictopia.com for lightjet printing or other digital photographic services.

For more information about Wetpixel's Photo Contest, visit http://www.wetpixel.com/contest/

Wetpixel.com provides news, features, reviews, and an active forum of over 2,000 digital underwater photographers. Visit Wetpixel at http://www.wetpixel.com

Question: Where the rules state you are not eligible "if you have placed in 4 or more major competitions", does this include honorable mentions, or just the "in the money" 1st through 3rd places? Also, if you place more than once in the same competition, same year, does it count as one?

Not that I am complaining since I highly doubt that it will be a problem for me, but the "$500 credit toward any Aquatica digital SLR housing" seems a little strange. I won a contest but am required to spend $2000 in order to use/claim the prize. You cant blame aquatica for trying to sell more housings but it seems like the prizes should be things that can be used by anyone. I think in the future prizes should be for the entire product not just a coupon for 30% off with purchase. Credit is great so long as the credit is enough to buy something. Then you can at least ebay it if you dont need it/cant use it.

Question:  Where the rules state you are not eligible "if you have placed in 4 or more major competitions", does this include honorable mentions, or just the "in the money" 1st through 3rd places?  Also, if you place more than once in the same competition, same year, does it count as one?

Let's make it 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place, with each competition each year accounting for a single "slot" in the 4.

I'll clarify on the rules page when I get a chance.

Not that I am complaining since I highly doubt that it will be a problem for me, but the "$500 credit toward any Aquatica digital SLR housing" seems a little strange.

Actually, most contest prizes seem to be like this. I've won two live-aboard trips, and they both make you purchase airfare and extra days (often you win 7 days, but the shortest trip is 10 days).

In any case, grand prize items will DEFINITELY not be credits, and include dSLR housings and such. Maybe you can sell the Aquatica credit, or trade it in for a something else; it will be at the discretion of Aquatica.

The other thing we can do is pool the prizes and let the 1st place winner pick, followed by 2nd, and 3rd, etc. That's what some competitions I've seen do. Then, you could pick a $100 item over a $500 credit.

ANYWAY, I'm taking what I can get, in terms of donated prizes from sponsors. Because this is a free competition to enter, I don't have a budget to buy additional material prizes. As the competition gets bigger, we may do something like allow 1-2 free entries and then charge a small fee for additional ones.

Oh yes -- for those of you entering: please read the rules. We've already had some people enter more than 2 photos. If you do that, I will either delete photos 3, 4, etc... or, I will delete all of your entries and have you re-submit.

Thank you,

Eric

You should add a section to the rules page clearly stating the contest end date and the theme. I'm assuming that there's no theme for the first one, but you might want to say that since some folks will be used to themed contests and others may need to get used to the idea that there will be a theme next time.

Each contest album has clearly stated the end date and theme. I guess that's not obvious enough...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements