John Bantin

Diver Magazine UK

There's a riot of Great Hammerhead pictures in the April edition of Diver Magazine UK. (an unashamed advertisement :) )

post-4197-0-08106800-1363430422_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Bantin
  • Like 2

Wow x 3 !!!

Well done John.

I really like the warm WB you have chosen for this image.

Pete

John-that image is stunning!

I think it is really difficult to put a "new" creative slant on subjects that are so often featured in images.

You have-I think it is probably my favorite image of a hammerhead ever :)

Adam

That image is quite something .. is there a story in the article about how it was achieved if not will you be sharing that here ??

I have had quite a few close ups from hammerheads over the years (never with my camera) they always seem so curious and inquisitive. This image seems to capture that for me.

I have seen it on a double-page spread in the magazine.

Oooooh boy,

nothing like on the picture above....... muuuch better, considering it is not the best magazine, in order to see good prints.

As I said before, no electronic media can come closer to a good print for the time being.

Thanks god we still have a printed media.

Bear in mind that the first picture I posted was merely a screen-grab from the RAW converter. Obviously it can be improved. The repro in Diver was a bit disappointing (under inked on the black run).

The secret is to use a full-frame fish-eye lens and release the shutter just as the eye of the Great Hammerhead is about to hit the dome port! Get close!

No, I don't look through the viewfinder at these moments because it's also important to know what any other sharks might be doing!

Different animal but this picture of me and a (smaller) shark was taken at a similar moment by Lawson Wood. (Copyright Lawson Wood - but I'm sure he won't mind me showing you!)

post-4197-0-40877900-1363641647_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Bantin

John,

Thanks for the details.

You did not take strobes on this dive. Was it a right decision?

John,

Thanks for the details.

You did not take strobes on this dive. Was it a right decision?

I was there for several days so had the chance to adjust my technique. The hammerheads move very quickly and change direction in a moment so I found that I was missing shots waiting the couple of seconds for the strobes to recycle.

I eventually decided to shoot by natural light because 1) it was very shallow 2) the D800 affords high ISO settings if need be 3) I needed a faster shutter speed to avoid double imaging and 4) I could shoot at 4fps (max on the D800) and grab the different moments. In this way I've counted that I got 2146 useable shots!.

Thanks.

It looks like this trip was a fruitful one for you and full of positive experiences.

I saw the mag last night. Excellent. Well worth getting a copy for the whole story. Alex

John - is there a web link you can point us to, got those of us who don't receive the print version? Thanks. Shots look terrific!

Stephen, It was a pilot trip put together by Stuart. I'm surprised you weren't there! He'll be doing more next season, I'm sure. In one month the feature will be archived on www.divernet.com but there is a (free?) Diver Mag app. for iPad and Android that allows you to see current mags although you have to pay a few dollars for each issue. This issue on the app includes some extra pictures pictures (I actually shot 2146 usable pics!) and Fraziers short-version video.

post-4197-0-70235100-1364542607_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Bantin
  • Like 1

Stephen, I just posted a load of mags to Frazier Nivens. I think he lives near you.

Sponsors

Advertisements