Sign in to follow this  
Parso

Ikelite 8" or 6" Dome Port for GW Sharks

Hi All. In July I am heading to South Australia to cage dive with the Great Whites, with my Canon 50D in an Ikelite housing. I recently brought a Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens for the trip. I have the Ike 8" dome port, but would need to buy the superwide mounting body #5510.11 to use the lens with the 8" dome. My other option is to buy the 6" dome port #5503 and shoot with the dome shade removed. I have read that, in the cage you are better off with a less bulky rig. I was wondering if one or the other improves or detracts from the images. So the question is, am I better off with the 8" or 6" dome port. Thanks in advance for your replys.

Edited by Parso

I would suggest the smaller dome for the simple reason that its easier to maneuver while in and through the cage bars. The only issue is that with a smaller dome the strobes have to be closer together than the wider dome. BUT i guess you will be taking pictures sans the strobes and manually white balance. So go with the smaller one. I have not seen a herculean difference in images with both except that the smaller dome is better for CFWA pics.

Cheers,

Diggy

• Like 1

6" port especially with Tokina 10-17mm and you'll get no vignetting by 12mm on a Canon 1.6X crop APS-C sensor with shade is fine.

Smaller port is much easier to maneuver in cage windows too.

Good shooting!

dhaas

post-244-0-70498000-1365379055_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements