Sign in to follow this  
Julian D

wide angle lens for occasional underwater use

Hi. I already have a tokina 10-17 but want to get to get a topside wide angle lens (for my D7000). It seems a shame not to get one that will also be useful for underwater use one day.

The nikon 10-24 looks ideal but it a bit out of my price range at the moment so I was thinking maybe a tokina 11-16 or the sigma 10-20 which would have a mode useful zoom range.

Any comments on these two lenses and/or any other recommendations? I'd like to photograph whales at some stage so I'm really after a lens that could handle that sort of thing too....

Thanks

Are you planning a future change to FX?

Wideangle is a bi of an issue here. Since, it is not really useful to run a FX Wideangle Lense on a DX body.

I used a Sigma 10-20mm ( variable aperture) and I was reasonably satisfied with it.

However, I found it a bit soft towards the edges.For the price not bad though.

/Erik

I second Erik's suggestion. The Sigma 10-20mm is a very useful compromise both on land and underwater. You may be able to find a good used one. I did and it cost me less than $250 plus shipping.

• Like 1

Hi. I already have a tokina 10-17 but want to get to get a topside wide angle lens (for my D7000). It seems a shame not to get one that will also be useful for underwater use one day.

The nikon 10-24 looks ideal but it a bit out of my price range at the moment so I was thinking maybe a tokina 11-16 or the sigma 10-20 which would have a mode useful zoom range.

Any comments on these two lenses and/or any other recommendations? I'd like to photograph whales at some stage so I'm really after a lens that could handle that sort of thing too....

Thanks

I have been having the same idea regarding best topside wide angle lens for my Nikon D7000 and I have choosen the Tokina 11-16mm. I have seen them on Ebay for $525 new and also on Australian ebay selling for just over $400 with little use. It seems alot of people boiught them and then changed to FX.

Kenrockwell has a review on this lens which he discribes as the best wide angle lens for DX cameras and its not even a Nikon or Canon lens!........heres the review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

Regarding shooting whales are you looking at shooting them underwater or topside? Underwater I suggest with sticking to the Tokina 10-17mm especailly for Minke whales on the GBR and when your chasing down Humpbacks in Tonga on the surface the Tokina behind a mini dome is more streamlined and makes it easier to approach them. Shooting Whales topside you really need a fast telephoto and friends who shoot Humpabacks locally use something like the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 as the lens of choice.

Regards Mark

I believe that a used Sigma 10-20mm is a pretty good bang for the Buck.

I would also have a look at the Tokinas, 11-16 & 12-24 as well.

It depends a bit on how much money that you want to pay for it.

/Erik

I used successfully the Tokina 12-24 mm on my D90 and D7000.
As it is a rectilinear lens it will work great on land and with the right dome well under water as well.

Rectilinear zoom lenses are known for creating soft corners but a +3 diopter usually help to get rid of them.

Chris

Thanks for the info everyone. It's just dawned on me that the the "true" cost of using the lens underwater includes the cost of any extensions/zoom gears I also have to buy (Aquatica housing). It looks like if I stay with tokina I'll be able to use the extension for my 10-17.

I'm going to look at the lenses you have all recommended and check out both the cost of the lens plus any extensions etc I aready have. I'll post the analysis here in case anyone is interested.

Regarding the tokina 11-16 yes it looks like a great lens. Do you find the limited zoom range is an issue?

No plan to switch to FX at the stage.

Thanks

As per my earlier post here is a quick analysis of the real cost of getting the different lens options operational.

One of the Tokina lenses makes sense from a $ perspective (and less gear to carry), unless the sigma is a lot better. Which tokina would you get? I have both 8in and 4 in domes.

Thanks

post-36288-0-04182400-1366013687_thumb.jpg

also, consider whether the lens will fit in your dome! I had the tokina 11-16mm and it would not fit in the type III subal dome I have. another thing to consider!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements