Sign in to follow this  
bobh

my first underwater digital photos... comments please!

Hi, nice shots for a beginner, but there are some serious problems:

THere seems to be a sharpness/DoF problem with the most of your UW-Pictures, also the Color Cast seems to be off on some of them.

My tip: try to get closer, youll get much better results.

You should also work on the composition, some of them look just like random point and shoot. others are very nice.

What Equipment are you using

It looks like your shutter speed is too slow. Some of the images are blurred. I agree with the above. Get closer to your subject. Some of the images are too crowded. The primary subject and point of view should be obvious without thinking about is. Some of the colors do look off. What white balance did you use and how did you decide which to use? Don't take pictures of buts. Divers or fish. They are seldom attractive.

I thought it was a pretty good gallery for a first try. Some of the subjects were well lit. You did get close to, and isolate some of them.

Did you shoot these in a program mode? That may explain some of the inconstant results. As UW is a low light environment those programs will give you a slow shutter speed to make more use of the light available. Due to the filtering effect of water on color an automatic WB may give you some weird colors UW.

As always when shooting UW get as close to your subject as conditions and the type of shot will allow. That is why UW Photogs are always looking for that wider lens or the one that does smaller macro.

I agree that you need to get closer. It looks like you are snorkeling. Can you hold your breath long enough to swim down to the bottom to get closer? If so, try diving down to the bottom before taking the picture. If not, stay in the very shallowest water.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements