Sign in to follow this  
lars

Cyberware LCD Mask

We just received the message that the start-up company Cyberware will introduce a LCD Mask dedicated to underwater video- and photographers in July. The mask features an integrated LCD located between two pieces of pressure proof, hot tempered glass together with a small Bluetooth interface and an accessible battery compartment. If your housing offers enough space to host the Bluetooth video plug this device will make it possible to have a real-time, wireless HUD (Head Up Display) through your camera without having to look at viewfinder or the camera's LCD.

The complete info can be found on http://www.digideep.com/

/lars

Yea, this sounds really cool. I heard that it also be rigged to display your dive computer info. When connected to the optional storage devise it can also allow tec divers to watch full length movies full while they decompress.

Sound interesting

What cameras today enable this option?

Aside from a Ricoh camera (announced, but not sure if it's out), no viable still camera currently has Bluetooth. It's too slow for the transfer of images, but could be used to mirror what shows up on the camera's LCD, should manufactures start adding that specific type of bluetooth compatibility to cameras. If you're using a SLR, you aren't ever going to get a live preview anyway, unless the camera/mirror designs change (perhaps using the design of the EOS 1N RS).

I have my doubts about the usefulness of this product for the general population of still photographers. Might be useful for videographers. But this thing is going to be really expensive, and you also have to worry about batteries. :)

Also included in the set is a Bluetooth chip video module which can be plugged into a standard video port.

It will work with any camera with a video out plug. Even my 4 year old sony has a video out. I think that almost every P&S camera will be compatible.

interesting idea,

now we need to adapt the same thing as fighter pilots have to trigger our shutter releases with eye movement :)

/paul

Considering how poor the range (and bandwidth) of BT is, it's hard to believe it's going to work through the water at all. BT is 2.4GHz and water's virtually opaque at that frequency. Believe it when I see it.

Considering how poor the range (and bandwidth) of BT is, it's hard to believe it's going to work through the water at all.  BT is 2.4GHz and water's virtually opaque at that frequency. Believe it when I see it.

Craig,

I know some photogs that are travelling and using a BT connection from their Laptops to T-mobile Cell phones and supposedly getting 56K connections and acceptable transmission speeds.

I believe the Nikon D2H is BT enabled.

Bluetooth and Wifi (80211.b what the D2h uses) are not the same thing - but they are similar.

Cheers

James

I'm with Eric .. may sound cool, and yet may not be radily availble .. i dont know about that, but think about it .. how usefull is it, I mean, its adding a dealy to your reactions to take the photo more than likely, it's new , which means you'll have to get used to moving your head and camera separately, and how does the mask work if your not shooting ... it cant possibly be the same.

Even if it is a perfect working option, why .. why would you think it is usefull..... the only reason i can come up with is macro ..

imagine you have a subject you can get you camera to point at .. but cant then get you head on the view finder to see it ... sure it sould come in handy then .. but so dies digital on it's own ... by the pure fact you can review your image and shoot it again ... this is about (in my mind) as much as a revolution as integrated weights .. people were already putting the weights in their pockets ... just some guy decided to over design it. But isnt that what engineewrs are for.

Hello Guyz,

well I think it is about time to de"mask" my April Fool :-) There is no company

from Sweden named Cyberware and the mask was put together in Photoshop.

However I am very pleased that my idea raised so much interest. In fact I think

that it is really do-able and that some of us would really go for such a mask.

For all those who are still unsure here is a larger version of my prototype:

cybermask_big.jpg

I also have to give credit to Craig Jones for not believing in my Bluetooth hoax.

But I think Bluetooth is generally not very well known or popular in the States

from what I read above. The usual range according to spec. 1.1 is 10m which

should be efficient for the above mentioned purpose. Many people expect it to

be a substitute for WLAN but that approach is misleading to my opinion. Both

technologies are complementary. Bluetooth is designed for the Personal Area

Network (PAN) to make things communicate which directly surround the user.

Therefore it features really low power consumption and is available in very tiny

chips. Actually ideal to fit inside a mask.

However I do not know the behaviour underwater and if the housing would

block the transmission. Also Craig pointed out correctly that BT does not have a

streaming video standard at the current state of development. But don't give

up so soon. I never expected to see a true Stereo Audio Profile within the BT

standard either and guess what they are offering now. Anyway... if there is

no interoperatbilty standard you always have the choice to run a BT serial

connection and have a proprietary commnunication to make it work.

Actually I own a Bluetooth organzier and a Nokia 6310i. I use it very often

to access the internet via Bluetooth with GPRS. Guess what I will test today?

:arrow: Put my phone in a housing and drown it. The I will try to make a Internet

connection. Will post here if it works.

So finally,... I apologize for everybody who took this too serious. I promise

digideep.com will just issue fake news once per year. I hope you all forget

during the next 364 days :-)

CU, Andi

Bluetooth and Wifi (80211.b what the D2h uses) are not the same thing - but they are similar.

Cheers

James

And WiFi is not the same as 80211.b :)

Well - Nikon thinks it is - check out their product release for their wireless transmitter...

Cheers

James

Sorry for bullshitting, but I think you got me wrong.

I just was refering that WiFi is a certification and not

a technical specification as IEEE 802.11 is. You can

get your IEEE 802.11 product WiFi certified to assure

a high level of interoperability.

I guess WiFi was founded to tackle Bluetooth which

already features profiles as a part of the specification

to assure cross-manufacturer interoperability.

These days many people start speaking of WiFi

products, even if they are not certified and just

have IEEE 802.11 without certification.

Check http://www.wi-fi.org for details.

I also own a BT-enabled phone (Tmobile) and use it with a PDA. Trouble is that 2.4GHz doesn't travel underwater. Otherwise, microwave ovens wouldn't work too well.

I agree, but I also could not resist to test how vunerable it is. So I put my phone in the housing and starting surfing via BT. Well.. as soon as only one milimeter of water covered the the housing the signal was lost.

Anyway... We all know that there are RF which function underwater. Radio Full Face Masks or the Aladin Air Computer are just a few examples. But I'd be interested to know on what bandwith these are operating and what the max. data transfer rates would be. For the Aladin Air I do not expect them to be very high. Does anybody know more?

I also own a BT-enabled phone (Tmobile) and use it with a PDA.  Trouble is that 2.4GHz doesn't travel underwater.  Otherwise, microwave ovens wouldn't work too well.

Duh! That makes sense. I didn't even think of that until you brought it up.

When the first wireless computers came out, Cochran said they used a special magnetic signal since RF didn't work. Well, RF is simply electromagnetic radiation anyway. It's either low frequency EM or acoustic (and I'm certain it's not acoustic!).

oops ... I hadn't read page 2 ... sorry

Hi Andi!

Guess what I will test today?  

Put my phone in a housing and drown it. The I will try to make a Internet  

connection. Will post here if it works.  

Don't go below 1/2m! You won't get a proper GSM or GPRS connection. I tried to send an SMS from the bottom of a pool but it didn't work. You'll need an external antenna on a float (on your diving flag :) ).

I know of a dive platform (5m) where somebody mounted a "no phone" sign. I'd like to take a picture with a camera-phone and send it as MMS straigt from the platform. So I tested GSM/GPRS in the pool. Next thing to do will be an extension to the antenna so I can operate teh phone inside an EwaMarine like bag.

BTW, a GameBoy works well at 5m, tested. Killing time during deco!

I just had a chat with a guy at Uwatec about the frequencies used for hoseless computers. The devices don't need much of a bandwidth (in contrast to video streaming) so they can use low frequency ranges. I couldn't get a definite value because he wasn't sure if it's ok to share the info.

Helge

Well HF travel through air and LF on ground.

I think it's always in the kHz range (audio transmission).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements