HippoFish

Reflections in my port

Hi all,

I’ve got a question about a problem with my SLR/housing system. The camera/housing combo (details below) has been around for a while, so I figured I may be able to find something in the archives addressing my problem but I haven’t found an answer using the search function yet, so I’m turning to the masters here....

A few years ago, after extensive research and reading all of Phil Rudin’s articles, I finally packed away the old Nikonos cameras and made the plunge into the DSLR world, buying an Olympus E-620 along with the PT-E06 housing, the PPO-E05 port, the 14-42 kit lens, and the 50mm lens. I’m using this with an Inon d2000 strobe.

For the most part, I’ve been quite happy with it, though there is one major exception: when I try to use the 14-42mm lens for anything even slightly wide-angle (maybe from the 14-25mm range), I get reflections that show up in the pictures. Since I’m using the fiber optic cable with the strobe, I need to have the camera’s flash on inside the housing, which is where I thought the reflections were coming from. However, last time I took the camera into the water to try to get to the bottom of the problem, I could see in the view-finder that the refections were present even when not shooting, due to ambient light. The effect was amplified if the camera was pointed downward (with the back of the clear/opaque housing pointed towards the sun). I’ve tried putting flat-black tape over any white writing on the lens but it doesn’t seem to help.

I’m guessing the problem must be due to something I am doing since I haven’t seen anyone else report the same problem—hopefully it’s some simple fix but at this point, I’m worried that I’ll have to shell out another $1500 for the 9-18mm lens /PPO-E04 port combo just to take a wider-angle shot. And, yes, I would love to get the 9-18mm lens one day, but right now I can’t afford it. An even bigger worry is if I was to get the 9-18mm lens and port, that the problem might remain.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

greg

Oh, I'm attaching 2 test pictures I took while trying to determine the source of the problem. One was taken zoomed all the way out to 14mm (28mm for non-four-thirds cameras); the second was taken at 23mm (46mm).

post-42335-0-76615600-1373145209_thumb.jpg

post-42335-0-09433400-1373145241_thumb.jpg

Ooops, I guess I didn't do a broad enough search--I had been looking specifically for E620/PT-E06 related posts but have just found that this seems to be an issue with other ports/housings as well.

Since the Olympus port is clear/opaque, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the sunlight out without having to apply any sort of solvents? Every tape, permanent marker, adhesive that I know of is dissolved in an organic solvent which is likely not going to be great for the integrity of a polymer-based housing....

I have a similar problem. Not only could I see the reflection of the front of the lens, I could read the text engraved on the front black face. I used a Sharpe marker to blacken the text, which helped a lot. I also plan on taping a small donut piece of black velvet to the front to further darken the surface.

You are probably getting stray light from the internal strobe that is causing the reflection. You might try building a curtain that would fit around the lens and block stray light getting into the port area. Sometimes the zoom gears are enough to block the stray light.

Thanks everyone for the good information. I just re-read a thread that I read when I originally decided to buy this set-up and only now noticed a tidbit that ce4jesus wrote back in 2009:

" When the 14-42 is at 42 mm there's no reflection either, however when you go wide without the rubber light blocker in place you'll get reflection...go figure."

Apparently, there is a "light blocker" that was supposed to come with the port but I never received--thus explaining why others haven't had this issue with this set-up. I'm not sure what this "light blocker" is supposed to look like (and I suspect tracking one down at this point would be rather difficult) but I will try to recreate it and see if that solves the problem. I'm guessing this is something I could just affix to the zoom gear, but if anyone else has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

greg

A blocker is a black disc that sits in the "neck" of the dome. I've cut them from black plastic to push fit on the barrel of the lens. I would cover up all the natty silver and gold markings on your lens with a Sharpie or tape, too.

• Like 1

Fantastic--thanks for the description, Tim. Sounds like something I can put together fairly easily. I'll play around with it this week and let everyone know how it turns out.

Sponsors

Advertisements