Sign in to follow this  
chefforday

Olympus 5060 wide zoom

Hi Chefforday, welcome to Wetpixel.

There is a lot of info here posted about the 5060. If no one chimes in (or in any case) hit teh blue link above that says "Search."

Enter Olympus 5060 and you should get some good info.

HTH

James

My take, 04/02/04

There is a lack of information re how effective the wide angle capability will be for the 5060. In particular, the flat port on the Olympus housing wide angle adapter may cause so much distortion that the lens will have to be zoomed to the point that the wide angle is not very wide. It will be interesting to see how effective the Ikelite housing with a dome port is in addressing this problem.

As for the Olympus strobe, my guess is that it will not have the power or coverage to adequately light wide angle shots.

Bottom Line: Don't be the first kid on the block to own a 5060. Instead, watch the following forums for results of early testing. Or ask on these forums, "Does anybody have any experience using the Ikelite 5060 housing or the Olympus housing with the the Olympus wide angle lens?"

* Digital Diver

* Wet Pixel

As for me, I'm glad I have a 5050. If I lost my 5050 today I would get another 5050. And, it's possible that history will show that the 5060 was the camera to skip, particularly as housed and strobe supported by Olympus i.e. not all that is new is necessarily better.

As an owner of multiple 5060 which are used to rent and teach u/w photo classes, the camera is far superior in every way but one to the 5050. The pluses: better in camera zoom range, faster shutter responce, brighter lcd display, better battery life (more shots between battery changes). The drawbacks: inability to use the Inon wide add on lens on the Olympus housing (although you can use the Olympus wide angle lens in the new Ikelite housing and dome port combo). So to me unless you are fixated on using the Inon (or other similar) add on wide lens, there is no other reason to even consider a 5050.

Doug

I happily purchased a 5060 a few days ago, though was completely surprised by the size of the Olympus housing. I have been using the stylus400, and didn't bother to check the stats of the 5060 housing; it's three times the size. oh well.

Doug, what settings do you use for your rentals? I'm going to try using mine for available light with a ur/pro filter, but I'm flummoxed by the incredibly slow shutter speed in P mode. This is the mode recommended in the housing manual. On land inside, the shutter speed is a couple seconds! Entirely useless.

Your wisdom?

rhumbustion,

It depends on the experience of the user as to the setting I preset for them. Example: a novice diver wanting to point and shoot I'll set P program automatic exposure mode, iso 200 to boost the shutter speed, and a UR-pro filter. I also turn off the auto reset so that when the camera is turned off it will not reset my setting. For a novice / intermediate diver wanting to shoot fish pictures: I set A aperature priority F 5.6, iso 100, set flash to ON not auto, macro ON, no filter, and tell the customer to pop up the flash ONLY when 2' away and closer. For a more experience diver / photographer manual exposure is the way to go with a external Ikelite DS-50 strobe and manual controller, Start your exposures at 1/125 sec at F 5.6, flash at 1/2 power for a 3' strobe to subject distance and work from there. The reality is that for someone renting a camera I try to keep it simple for them, I do not give them a free $300 photo course with a $35 camera rental.

I hope I was able to help,

Doug

Hi Doug

Would you mind telling me what settings you use for the 5060. I've had mine for about 3 months now - was told to put everything on "auto". Seems a bit simplistic to me, but as a complete nivice I really can't argue the point. I normal dive in Cape Town where the vis is around the 5 - 10 meter mark. Every year I go on a trip to warmer climes such as Mozambique.

Thank

Mike

As an owner of multiple 5060 which are used to rent and teach u/w photo classes, the camera is far superior in every way but one to the 5050. The pluses: better in camera zoom range, faster shutter responce, brighter lcd display, better battery life (more shots between battery changes). The drawbacks: inability to use the Inon wide add on lens on the Olympus housing (although you can use the Olympus wide angle lens in the new Ikelite housing and dome port combo). So to me unless you are fixated on using the Inon (or other similar) add on wide lens, there is no other reason to even consider a 5050.

Doug

Mike,

There is no perfect 1 setting does everything for every shot. If you are serious about learning u/w photography, find a photo class from a local photo pro who specializes in digital, and even better your Olympus camera. I always reccommend learning to shoot in the manual exposure mode if you already have a basic understanding of shutter speeds and f-stops. Find a non moving subject, sit in the sand and start shooting images, varying the exposure between shot and writting down what you are doing. Try out the different metering modes and autofocus modes. When you think you've got it, turn on the strobe and start all over. With flash you now have 2 completely separate exposures: background with ambiant light and forground with flash. Shoot lots and write down your exposures and distance to subject for each image. Review your images on land and then try again. The more familiar you are with the controls on your camera and what they can do for you, the easier everything gets. Last but not least... shoot lots and lots of images, and then shoot some more. If you want some unbiased critique, post a few shots here on wetpixel and get some feedback from Eric, James, Craig, Peter and the other photo gurus. What hurts your ego now will make you a stronger photographer later.

Doug

Thanks Doug; very helpful.

By the way, does anyone know what the fishy symbol in the mode menu does? I may be blind, or just a knucklhead, but I can't seem to find it's purpose in the manual.

Doug,

Since yuo rent them and usethemon a dsily basis, can you tell me the quality of the pictures comming from first time users set in automatic mode?

Also, if no external strobe is being used, how does thios effect??

Adam

Adam,

Picture quality depends alot on the diving abilities of the diver. Picking up a bulky camera / housing system and taking it underwater forces the diver to relearn and re-evaluate his balance and buoyancy control, breathing, body positioning, and movement u/w. Experienced divers seem to to better, and when I evaluate a divers photos I do not compare them to a pros shots. The Olympus is a great camera and has all the features an advanced ameture needs, plus some. In auto mode (and built in flash) you are forced to either shoot wide angle natural light with a ur-pro filter and manual white balance or close up fish portrait or macro shots with the flash on and no filter. You will definately improve your images with an external strobe (Ikelite, Sea & Sea or Inon are the major brands), more light (and more control of the quality of light), better color, and less backscatter are the major advantages of an external strobe.

Doug

I have a sea & sea YS50- What are teh chances of using that??

Adam,

Picture quality depends alot on the diving abilities of the diver. Picking up a bulky camera / housing system and taking it underwater forces the diver to relearn and re-evaluate his balance and buoyancy control, breathing, body positioning, and movement u/w. Experienced divers seem to to better, and when I evaluate a divers photos I do not compare them to a pros shots. The Olympus is a great camera and has all the features an advanced ameture needs, plus some. In auto mode (and built in flash) you are forced to either shoot wide angle natural light with a ur-pro filter and manual white balance or close up fish portrait or macro shots with the flash on and no filter. You will definately improve your images with an external strobe (Ikelite, Sea & Sea or Inon are the major brands), more light (and more control of the quality of light), better color, and less backscatter are the major advantages of an external strobe.

Doug

Sorry but I am going to be vague here, as I am unfamiliar with the YS50 as this is not a current model, nor is it cord compatible with your housing. Obviously you need to either connect the strobe to housing via cord or use as a slave in manual power. Since the Olympus PT-020 housing uses a proprietary cord connector, I have to assume your strobe is a slave. Does it have any manual power settings other than full? My guess is that you may be better of with a newer strobe model from Ikelite or Inon that will work better with your 5060. Perhaps someone else out there in wetpixel can help you better than I on this one.

Doug

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements