Sign in to follow this  
mattwallace24

Blue Shark

This is my first time uploading a photo for critique. Looking for some feedback and constructive criticism.

This was shot with a Nikon D90/Tokina 10-17 FE using ISO 320, f/8, and 1/250 shutter speed. Twin YS-1D strobes set to 1/4 power or less.

Picture was shot mid-afternoon at surface in dark green water (Rhode Island). Shark was approximately 7 feet long, so struggled lighting entire shot during these "nose in" approaches. Also was my first time shooting with twin strobes, so I'm sure I still have a lot to learn.

The original picture was shot in RAW (~12 MP), but had to use a much smaller jpeg to get below the 1000k file attachment limitation.

Let me know what you think.

Regards, Matt

post-42398-0-75160500-1375128731_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Love it Matt,

Blues are such gorgeous animals. If it was mine I would try to lighten it up just enough the see the dorsal a little more clearly. Either globally of locally. The fins are such a critical element to most folks expectations I'd see if I could make it a little more prominent.

Cheers

I'd be very happy with the image as it stands: the lighting emphasises the really nice reflection.

Nice capture... blue sharks are one of my favourite looking sharks.

just a small question... how did you get1/250 from your D90.. i have tried several times and cannot get it to do that.

Edited by Alastair

Alastair -

I'm only guessing on this, but it could be your brand of strobes. I did a quick search of the issue and found most D90 users were limited to 1/200. I did find a post where a user was able to reach higher speeds land was using Sea & Sea strobes like myself. He could only get 1/200 with an IKE housing and IKE strobes, but could go higher when he switched to S&S strobes.

Since we have the same housing, that shouldn't be the issue. I don't have anything setup unusual in my camera settings that I'm aware of. I do use standard S&S sync cords versus optical.

I can actually shoot higher than 1/250, but start getting the black banding at 1/320.

Would be interesting if someone has access to both S&S and non-S&S strobes to see if that is the difference.

Matt

thanks Matt,

i have somehow managed to do it once when i was in the philipines odly enough using snoots and i think it was going up to 1/320 and i didn't notice any banding as a lot of the image was black anyhow, but since then i have not managed to replicate it, despite a lot of research! i am not sure it is the strobes but maybe the strobe settings.. by the tim i figure it out i will probably have upgraded haha..

i have both strobes i will borrow my wifes YS-110s and see if it will do it and let you know!

or jsut a thought what position do you have your switches inside your housing?

thanks

Alastair

or jsut a thought what position do you have your switches inside your housing?

Strangely enough, my switches are 1-3 down and 4 up. Strange because I don't recall that being a referenced setting or why I ended up with it. Worked fine for me however.

Matt

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements