Sign in to follow this  
Goondoo

Time to change camera?

Hi guys,

After I made my trip to Manado, I was fasinated by the pictures taken by my buddy. So I decided to invest in a digital camera for my future dives... I loved micro stuff, especially those tiny shimps and taking super close up of the slugs. After reading alot of reviews and advises from friends, both divers and non divers, I narrowed down my choices to C5050 and C750. I later chosed C750 since my buddy owns a C5050 to avoid confusion.

I liked the camera, especially the 10X zoom, its simply wonderful on land. My Sanyo 2100 batteries last pretty long as well, and many other things... The only thing I hate about it, Olympus locked the function to use Slave Flash while in Super Macro mode for C750... a function I would desperately wanted, to take nice super small critters and also for better composition... I understand that its logical to disable it since the internal flash is blocked by the lens, but by disabling Slave mode as well, I can't even activate my external strobe, which is really saddening.... and I won't be buying it if I knew it earlier... I had only used it for one trip :)

I spent another couple of hundreds on a UW macro lens thinking it might resolve the problem, but all it did was bringing the subject closer to me, it gets out of focus any thing less then 8 cm, same applies when I try to zoom in....

Is changing camera my only options since I love macros so much?

I believe using the external strobe connection (on the camera) and Ikelites bulkhead allows you to use an external strobe in Smacro.http://ikelite.com/web_pages/olymp750.html

Hi crcdiver,

Thanks for the reply, unfortuanately, there ain't any hard proof or indications that they will "work". There isnt't any Ikelite show room with ready stocks to be tested in my area too...

The C-750 does not feature SLAVE mode, meaning it will not trigger external strobes in Super Macro, and has slightly more shutter lag.

External strobes with provisions to handle the digital preflash all work fine in all other shooting modes.

New Ikelite housing does provide TTL in Super Macro with the DS strobes attached by sync cord.

New Ikelite housing does provide TTL in Super Macro with the DS strobes attached by sync cord.

Hi Ike,

I wonder why it took be many times of reading before I actually understand the words TTL in Ikelite website... I must be nuts... lol... anyway, just realised the price of getting the casing+DS50 strobe would cost me more then getting a new C5050 with a UW casing... lol

Just came back from Perhentian, Malaysia last weekend, here are some pictures :D

PictureCD

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements