prolonga

How do you (un)screw short Ikelite dome port?

I find that It's hard to screw dome port into the base plate of the dome and, unlike other Ikelite ports, short ports are even too hard to unscrew because there is not enough grip for the hand; therefore my question is: how do you make easy unscrewing?

tks

Giorgio

When my port has been left on for a while I find it takes a strap wrench to get it moving. Once the initial resistance is overcome then I go back to using hands.

The strap can be used even on the short ports provided it's narrow enough.

• Like 1

Grip cloth. Stuff you use to put on table to prevent stuff from sliding. Cheap and available in any supermarkets. You could wrap this stuff over the rim and then strap wrench over that. It will help when everything is gripped tight for big heave.

• Like 1

Use a strap wrench with plastic handle & rubber strap to avoid damage to port.

• Like 1

Use a strap wrench with plastic handle & rubber strap to avoid damage to port.

yes, of course, Tks.

One time I had to CAREFULLY grip it in a well padded machinist vice when the strap wrench technique did not work. After that I made it a habit to take the port bodies off more frequently and lube them liberally before putting on the port.

I don't ever tighten mine fully; just until it stops then back off 1/8 turn. It's a radial (piston type) seal so doesn't need any axial compression.

Just finger tight for me then back it off a bit, but they seem to get tight by themselves!

Sponsors

Advertisements