diverdoug1

What type of fiber optic cable for DIY sync cable

I want to make a long (about 3 meter) fiber optic sync cord (L-type see & sea ends) to use with an off camera strobe (for snoot photography). I do not want to use a remote slave trigger ( such as the Triggerfish). I have found a source for See & Sea compatible end caps that will accomodate a 2.0mm external diameter fiber optic cable. I need to find out the best type of fiber optic cable to use for this application, and a place where I can order this cable. If any of you can offer any insight on the type of cable rquired, I would appreciate it! Thanks, Doug

Edited by diverdoug1

Hi Doug,

I use TOSlink audio cable, and it seems to work okay. I have used lengths from 2 feet up to 25 feet with no issues.

I can optically fire my Sea and Sea strobes with the 25 foot cable with my built in flash output at 1/128.

Cheers

BC

• Like 1

Thanks! I may have to modify the outside diameter of the cable to narrow it down to 2.0mm, but I will give it a try!.

It is much like a coax cable in composition, a thin outer sheath, a sturdy inner protrector, and finally the fiber optic core.

I have cables that are stripped down to just the fiber itself and use with no issues. My guess is the fiber optic cable by itself is about 2mm.

• Like 1

I want to make a long (about 3 meter) fiber optic sync cord (L-type see & sea ends) to use with an off camera strobe (for snoot photography). I do not want to use a remote slave trigger ( such as the Triggerfish). I have found a source for See & Sea compatible end caps that will accomodate a 2.0mm external diameter fiber optic cable. I need to find out the best type of fiber optic cable to use for this application, and a place where I can order this cable. If any of you can offer any insight on the type of cable rquired, I would appreciate it! Thanks, Doug

Check this:

http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowfilament.htm#2.0

The 2mm diameter fiber is not so flexible. Maybe the 1mm is enough. If you want to curl your filament, check this link:

http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.de/2013/04/curling-of-fibers.html

Cheers

Marcell

• Like 1

I also use a 1$/m Toslink cable for my inon s2000-s. Perfect for the job. As far as I remember, the core is 1mm.

• Like 1

I think mine came from Divervision but I think xit404 is also making them.

Edited by diverdoug1

Sponsors

Advertisements