gecko1

Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary

In October, 2013, Bay Area Underwater Explorers (http://www.baue.org), in collaboration with NOAA, mounted a weeklong dive expedition to Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary off of the dive boat Escapade.

We visited Craine's Point and the Northern East and Northern West Ridges. The water was so thick with fish that they limited the visibility. The structure was completely covered by a variety of colorful sponges and anemones, and dotted with smaller fish including many young rosy and yelloweye rockfish.

The expedition would not have been possible without the support of NOAA, the Bodega Bay Marine Laboratory, Any Water Sports, and the crew of the Escapade.

Here are some images from the expedition. It was an amazing privilege to dive such a healthy, beautiful and unspoiled reef.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/events/Cordell_2013/

Clinton

DSC_8857.jpg

DSC_8864.jpg

DSC_8893.jpg

DSC_8926.jpg

DSC_8997.jpg

DSC_9007.jpg

Edited by gecko1
  • Like 1

Very nice.

Looks like it was a great trip.

Have you dove the Schmieder Bank? I was wondering how they might compare

Wonderful! I'm very happy to know there are so many fish there.

Nice!

Cordell bank has been on my wish list ever since diving Schmieder's Bank. But the inability to drop a hook, it's location, depth and the thought of doing midwater hangs at a place prone to fog makes the logistical challenges prohibitive. Congratulations on getting out there and your images. It reinforces my desire to go out and explore.

Congrats and thanks for bringing back spectacular images of a truly amazing place. Cordell Bank is on my to do list. I have dove Noonday Rock and thought that was spectacular but Cordell is very special indeed!

Keith

Wow, pretty fishy there. Nice to see such dense biomass in the times of overfishing.

Sponsors

Advertisements