Sign in to follow this  
johnjvv

Nikon DF - Why is it not talked about?

Hello WP!

Have not stuck my head out here in a while....but I have a baby boy to show off for my recent lack of interest in anything else!!

I am surprised at the lack of excitement over the Nikon DF and cant seem to see interest in it here.

I would have thought this compact version of the D4 would be getting more attention, especially for its ease of manual adjustments....

What am I missing???

Cheers

John

Hope the wee man is doing well....

Not sure that it would take off - a brand new housing for a camera that may have limited appeal... i think that modern controls are ergononmics have a lot more to offer than the rotatry dials on this camera. i think that you will buy it because of the way it looks rather than functionality?

I am just wondering why anyone would rather take another full frame camera under water if this has the best sensor Nikon offers and more compact than a D800, 600 or 4?

Edited by johnjvv

I would be astonished if any of the Housing manufacturers are making a Housing for it.

The reason would be that they would have to do quite a bit of design chages, due to the controls.

I personally by far prefer the controls of a DSLR, but it looks cool.

This is what I wrote on Facebook on its announcement date:

"Let's please hope that no housing manufacturer wastes their effort designing a housing specifically for the DF to go UW. With controls so different from other Nikons - it will be a big, expensive engineering job. People buying this camera want to be seen with it, not have it covered up in waterproofing."

and

" I have no problem with this existing (people buy specific cameras for specific reasons), I would just be disappointed if any housing manufacturer wasted time and effort on a housing. Which would be a complete redesigned compared with their existing Nikon SLR housings - and therefore would take their eye of other products and push up the price of their range."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153432706265713&set=a.129989815712.206702.796325712

Alex

Fair enough Alex, it is a bit of a showy piece however you are still getting D4 quality images from a camera half the price which is appealing to me....plus it is smaller...

I can't help wondering why Subal is announcing a housing for this camera now (3 years later)

I can't help wondering why Subal is announcing a housing for this camera now (3 years later)

I would say the most likely reason is confirmed orders. I guess some customers made it worth their while.

The alternative is that they know something we don't. They had a D5 before it was announced and maybe they heard something about a DF Mk2 that uses the same body. I suspect the first idea is more likely.

Alex

I own a df and agree that I wondered why nobody uses it under water.

The sensor and its high ISO capability, as well as color are excellent and I am sure would lead to great images under water.

Also its quite small for a DSLR.

I use m43 under water anyways.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements