Sign in to follow this  
davichin

South Africa white shark cage diving?

Hello all! :)

I have a relative that will have to visit SA and is thinking on using some days to do the white shark cage dive.

Could you suggest/recommend a couple of operators? best time of the year? is dry suit needed? any useful info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

David

Hi David,

I went a couple of times with shark diving unlimited.

http://www.sharkdivingunlimited.com/

They operate from Gansbaai. I would definitely recommend Gansbaai over Simonstown if the only thing that you want to see are Great whites.

Of you also want to dive (without a cage) with the sevengills, I think SImonstown is fantastic. In that case i would recommend shark explorers

http://www.sharkexplorers.com/

Enjoy

• Like 1

I would suggest Marine Dynamics, now owned by Will Chivell but formerly owned by Andre Hartman. Then again, the 8 ops in Gansbaai are pretty similar. Most of them supply all equipment including a 7mm one piece or 2 piece, booties, mask and snorkel.

I personally suggest not staying in Gansbaai/Kleinbaai area. There are wonderful nature reserves in the area (private and national). GrootBos is a wonderful place to stay.
If your relatives are competent and can handle being on the "right" side of the car, staying in CPT and/or up in Franschoek/Stellenbosch wine area is a nice way to avoid Gansbaai. Franschoek has a few wonderful restaurants and B&Bs.

Drew, you are always a high caudal fountain of knowledge! :)

I have seen that in some operators is a free dive/ no reg thing; is it like that with them all? I ask because it seems difficult to take pictures like that?

I've only used 3 ops in Kleinbaai, so I can't speak for all 8 ops. AFAIK, it's all breathhold with gaps in the cage nowadays. It's all a bit cattle car too.

The wrangler usually pulls the shark across the front of the cage, getting closeups isn't that much of an issue.

Winter time generally has the best viz. I've seen no viz and 20m as well.

Franschoek/Stellenbosch are very nice place to visit , but a very far drive if you intend a early start in Gansbay, I would rather opt staying in Hermanus should you want to avoid Gansbaai

I'll give Mike Rutzen of http://www.sharkdivingunlimited.com/ the thumbs up , had a very interesting time there visiting the shark barrier research project.

• Like 1

Damn. Wish I'd seen this thread before I booked my trip.

I've booked with a dive company called Into The Blue to go out next weekend while I'm in Cape Town for work. They're picking me up from there and taking me down to the boat for the cage diving. I only have one day off, so was really chasing a company who could run the transfers from Cape Town for me. Are they ok? They appear to be a PADI 5* Dive School, so took that as at least some evidence that they're safe.

Also, do you have any advice on photography in the cage while shark diving? I've never done this kind of "near surface" dive before and have been told "no strobes or lights" in the cage. So I'm admittedly a little bit unsure on how to shoot. I've got a G12, so can manipulate the settings a little bit. I'm also debating on whether to pack my w/a lens for the housing or whether to just stick with the flat port.

Any info would be very much appreciated!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements