Uli Kunkel

Sri Lanka and Whale watching / Photography

I was interested in going to Sri Lanka to try my luck at getting some shots of the whales there!
Does anyone have any experience with this? I am under the impression that photography is allowed, however you must have a permit?

Thanks for the help!

Hey buddy!

I'm in! Bring on the blue wales! :) I know that scubazoo did some footage of them out there so I guess its possible.

However I don't know if you need a shooting permit. When are you thinking about going?

The permit process is a bit more difficult this year than last year, which was more difficult than before. AFAIK,there are a few people offering in-water trips. Make sure they guarantee in-water shooting permits from the relevant Navy and Fisheries departments. Otherwise, that shot of blue whale mating underwater isn't admissible to competitions and magazine publications.

Thanks! Drew, do you know which operators offer permits/in water trips? I have been struggling with finding information!

Morten- how fast can you pack your bags? :D

All of the operators just charter boats and get permits on the charter. There are some people who charter boats and jump in illegally, but enforcement is lacking so they don't really get nailed.

I had another question or two- I am a bit concerned actually...

Ive been getting a lot of different responses from places, some say that it (snorkelling/photography) is outlawed completely, others say that there are no longer permits available, and then emailed me later saying that the law changed again. Another said they can get the permits...! Very confusing.

The problem is, is there any way to tell if the permit is a fake? I am kind of worried about that. I want to go through the right channels here.

So far, the permits are for "professional shooters only" and not for everyone who wants to sign up. This is something I agree with.

Thanks for your response...

What is the definition of a "professional shooter?" I also presume that you are insinuating that I am not a "professional shooter," or do not have the "professional" respect for marine life? Please forgive me if I am wrong here, as its quite early and I haven't had my coffee. :)

If that is the case, I would counter that I have seen some atrocious behavior and lack of respect by some "professionals" .... Is this regulated by the permit process?

I am just trying to do everything above board here.

Edited by Uli Kunkel

Uli, I'm just going by what is stipulated. I'm not questioning anyone's credentials. Furthermore I never read any forums until I am fully awake :) I agree you should go get proper permits.

Hi there,

I am planning to go to Sri Lanka in March this year 2017. Would you guys mind sharing any kind of news/tips/adventure?

Thanks a lot.

I wish you a great 2017.

Larry

All Whale/Dolphin swimming permits were rescinded by the Government agencies for 2017 pending revision of the "rules". It is unclear if or when new permits for 2017 will be issued. I also had a trip scheduled in March of 2017 that I cancelled for this reason.

Hi PGA,

Can you let me know where you heard about the permits being rescinded?

Thank you

Adam

PM sent, Undercurrent, Amos Nachoum, Aggressor staff 9Wayne, Anne, Andrew), Sri Lankan Government/Embassy, David Home,Annah Evington.

Hope this helps clarify

Sponsors

Advertisements