FanchGadjo

Ikelite Canon 100D / Rebel SL1 : review ?

Chile, are you on a normal browser? use the "more reply options".. You can attach a picture from your computer using the Attach file control under the screen you type in.

Or if the picture exists elswere on the net, or post the picture on flickr, photobucket etc and use the "forum link" option. Click the "image button" that is in the tools above the text, give the URL for the picture and voila.....

Flickr and Photobucket give you also an option to copy when you get the HTML / BB code straight away. If you copy that link it will automatically embed.

• Like 1

Phil, I read your article in UWP, thank you.

Chile, if the explanations you received are not enough, try

to find help around you. These pictures showing the vignetting

are highly interesting.

okay...here we go (unfortunately all terrible shots):

the lionfish is at 10mm

the gorgonian is at 12mm

post-34280-0-42705400-1399378143_thumb.jpg

post-34280-0-08932600-1399378183_thumb.jpg

Hey Chile,

thanks for posting pictures!!

To me that looks like the dome shade showing up in the frame due to the wide angle. As opposed to vignetting which often occurs with wide angle and is just a darkening of the corners. Is it possible to remove the dome shade?

-Gareth

I was only provided the "kit" 18 to 55mm zoom lens for students at Underwater Digital Fiesta 2014 (our fourth year) at Casa Del Mar, Cozumel Mexico. My review of the system with the KIT lens will appear at UWPMAG.com in the coming issue due out around the first of May.

Phil

In your article i kinda got the feeling that you categorize this as a DSLR beginners camera? If so can you explain why and what it would take to make it a experts camera in a smaller lighter travel friendly package.

Hey Chile,

thanks for posting pictures!!

To me that looks like the dome shade showing up in the frame due to the wide angle. As opposed to vignetting which often occurs with wide angle and is just a darkening of the corners. Is it possible to remove the dome shade?

-Gareth

Hi Gareth

The shade is not removable. There is a bit of a lip on the shade that also is not helping the situation at all. Please see the attached poor quality cell phone picture.

post-2195-0-43657600-1399419746_thumb.jpg

Edited by blibecap

Hi Bill,

This is what I said in the article, "This is an excellent little housing system for travel, those entering underwater photography looking for a moderately priced system and for those die hard Canon fans looking for a backup system."

First I don't see a distinction in regard to an entry level system between a DSLR or a mirrorless interchangeable lens system. I think I pointed out that the 100D Rebel is the entry level camera and that the current T5i is the top of the Rebel line. Above the Rebel line you have the 70D, 6D, 5D Mk III and so on. An "expert" could use any underwater system but they would likely be looking for things this camera does not have like a much larger viewfinder, greater AF speed and so on.

This is a great little system for travel and I can see why many are interested in additional lens choices. Unlike most manufactures ports for "kit" lenses Ikelite has chosen to use a dome rather than a flat port. To expect that it will work well with all wide lenses is just not what it was designed for and I would think that Ikelite has future plans to accommodate additional wide lenses. I am sure some may want to use a 100mm macro lens with this housing but the 60 port is the one that makes the most sense for first release. This is a housing system that Ikelite will build on but I think that the intended target market for this system are as I said those looking for a moderately priced, small quality system.

post-2618-0-48350200-1399422818_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-44012600-1399422835_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Rudin

Phil (and Bill),

Actually the Canon SL1 has a Hybrid CMOS AFII newer version autofocus than the T5i......Yes, the T5i has all cross type 9 AF points versus the SL1 having the center point of 9 total being a cross type. But in real world shooting the SL1 is more than fast enough (I owned the T4i for a year, same AF specs as the T5i.)

The included dome port will fit the following lenses physically: Canon 18-55mm IS STM kit lens, Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, Sigma 15mm Fisheye and even the Canon 8-15mm F4L Fisheye. I'll have all with me on Bonaire next week so we'll see how this tiny SLR does in real world shooting........Along with the Canon 60mm Macro lens many if not most Canon SL1 shooters won't nee much more......

I think Bill may be alluding to many of us in the "F" days (film) used a lowly Nikonos III or V with great glass and that's what really makes the photo........Plus time in the water of course :)

This housing is designed to keep it simple and deliver great pics.......

Stay tuned..............

Edited by dhaas
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clarification Phil. As a photographer interested in this small camera and housing, what I am looking for is a list of things that would to make the rig better.

So on my list so far I have:

a better viewfinder

more port options

maybe fiber linked strobe connection

I do like the SL1 a lot... Great little camera that takes great action or still shots. I've taken some fairly good shots of local surfing in addition to the landscape, flora shots and have not been disappointed. And so far, I like it underwater as well...Now, I just need a dive where I have more time than I've had on these test dives so I am not just snapping away randomly...

post-34280-0-26723000-1399454969_thumb.jpg

post-34280-0-10449300-1399454981_thumb.jpg

Edited by chile

Thank you all for the feedback !

There is a bit of a lip on the shade that also is not helping the situation at all. Please see the attached poor quality cell phone picture.

Do you think part of this lip could be removed with a dremel or equivalent

to reduce the vignetting ? I am not asking for you to do it on your brand new

equipment of course. ;) But I just wonder if this would be doable.

Thank you all for the feedback !

Do you think part of this lip could be removed with a dremel or equivalent

to reduce the vignetting ? I am not asking for you to do it on your brand new

equipment of course. ;) But I just wonder if this would be doable.

Yes you could remove some of the lip on the shade. you would only have to do that in 4 places that show up as the corners of the picture. the end result would be maybe no vignetting at 12mm but I would not recommend this to anyone. Some of the problems are that the dome is very close to the shade at the point where material is needed to be removed, depending on how much shade material you remove you could end up weakening the dome seal as the o-ring is right there and the improvements will be marginal.

Since the dome is not a true hemispherical dome that is in the right position for the Tokina 10-17 lens the field of view (coverage in the picture) is also reduced to what a correctly placed hemispherical dome would deliver.

In other words either live with 13mm or get a new custom dome.

Edited by blibecap

Thank you for your feedback, Bill. Sealing integrity is critical, of course.

I will wait and see if ikelite comes up with a dedicated dome port for fisheye

and maybe for rectilinear too.

We just came back from testing the Ikelite package with the 18-55 lens and we were very pleased with the results.

Haven't had a chance to try it out with the Tokina 10-17 but I must say I loved the range I had with the 18-55.

You can get some really nice mid-range shots and even some close-ups nearing macro.

I used a single YS-D1 with the setup, and encountered some odd issues where the strobe would fire a second time after each shot. Sync was OK but batteries drained faster because of this...

Here are some shots and a link to the short review:

http://blog.housingcamera.com/product-reviews/package-review-canon-eos-rebel-sl1-100d-ikelite-housing

Crop-Sample-744x1024.jpg

Eilat-SL1_0031-1024x733.jpg

Eilat-SL1_0038-1024x733.jpg

...I used a single YS-D1 with the setup, and encountered some odd issues where the strobe would fire a second time after each shot. Sync was OK but batteries drained faster because of this...

I forgot you had the same issue I have/had with YS-D1 on the ike housing...what i noticed on my recent night dive is that it didn't happen nearly as often as my day dives. maybe 2 times the entire dive.

ikelite is saying the dome will house the new Canon 10-18mm STM (only $299!! as well and getting very good reviews) and there is no vignetting. I find it hard to believe there is no vignetting at 10mm but who knows? An SL1 with an ike housing and a 10-18mm all coming in just over $2k has to be the best bang for buck DSLR setup out there.

Having just spent the week in the Bahamas with the SL1 and Ikelite housing I am very pleased. I have the new Canon 10-18 and will post some pictures after I get in the pool next week. I hope to be able to also post some pictures of the Tokina 10-17 lens also. I installed the Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder with no problems. The only lens i used on the trip was the 18-55 kit lens with the stock ikelite dome.

Amigos,

I've shot the following WA lenses in my Ikelite Canon SL1 housing:

* Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye

* Sigma 15mm Fisheye

* Canon 8-15mm F4L Fisheye (preset at 12mm, no zoom.)

All produced great images and I also have the new Canon EF-S 10-18mm RECTILINEAR wide angle zoom I'll also be trying in a pool this week........The lens is a bargain and usable above and below water for any APS-C Canon shooter.........

Stay tuned.........

^^ excited to see these images!!

I mean i've captured some of my best images with entry level gear but just being in the right place at the right time. Gear is a small part of the equation.

But holy smokes is all this awesome new gear getting me pumped to shoot!!!

The SL1 is packing so many awesome features in a small package, the ike housing is the first compact DSLR housing they've made, and now the canon 10-18mm is really completing the package.

Not to mention price point of the ike SL1 housing being half of what any other ike DSLR housing with dome would cost and the canon 10-18mm coming in at well under half the price of any comparable wide angle.

Can't wait to get mine in the water!!

David, thank you for your feedback !

Canon EF-S 10-18mm RECTILINEAR wide angle zoom I'll also be trying in a pool this week.

I am looking forward to read about it, but I guess the 5'' dome port

might have a too small diameter to get good sharpness. Let us know !

:)

Edited by FanchGadjo

Below are two pictures taken with the ikelite housing and ikelite dome. The first picture is taken with the Tokina 10-17 lens and the second one is taken with the Canon 10-18 dome. Both pictures were taken from the same location, tripod with 18" between the front of the dome and the subject. I have full size images but i loaded these into the editor and re-sized them only.

post-2195-0-49069400-1404870957_thumb.jpg

post-2195-0-72120800-1404870995_thumb.jpg

Edited by blibecap

Thank you for these pictures ! What is the used focal length for the 10-18mm ?

It would be nice if you could show us both lenses at both end of the focal range.

So, no vignetting and proper focusing for the 10-18 ?

Edited by FanchGadjo

I don't understand your question "What is the used focal lens for the 10-18mm ?" can you please explain?

Why would you want to see images ate the zoomed in setting?

These test pictures are taken at 10mm f/14 iso 200

Bill

Thank you for these pictures ! What is the used focal lens for the 10-18mm ?

It would be nice if you could show us both lenses at both end of the focal range.

So, no vignetting and proper focusing for the 10-18 ?

Edited by blibecap

Was the lens at 10 or 17, 10 or 18mm when the photo was taken is what I think he is asking.

Sponsors

Advertisements