emapola

Nauticam buoyancy help needed

Hello everyone, I'm buying the new diving equipment. I'm making the jump from compact to mirrorless camera.

I chose Olympus om-d E-M5 with Nauticam na-EM5.

I also choose Nauticam Flexitray II brackets.

I ask you some advice about the buoyancy of a configuration like this:

- Olympus omd EM5
- Nauticam na EM5 + Flexitray II and right handle.
- 2 x Inon flash s2000
- 2x arms Nauticam 8 "
- 2x arms Nauticam 5 "
- 6x Nauticam Clamp
- Lens olympus 9-18
- Nauticam semi-dome port 4 "

As per your experience it might be negative in the water?

How do I balance the weight? floating arm?

Thanks to all

Oh yes, it will be negative.

Based on my experiences with a similar setup, I think you should consider getting getting the Stix Jumbo floats. http://stores.4gdphoto.com/

I use heavier strobes, a different tray and usually use a different port, so it is hard to be precise, but I would guess you would want to put 2 jumbo floats on each 8" arm and one jumbo float on each 5" arm. Possibly just four jumbo floats will be enough. You can increase or decrease the number of floats or swap some jumbo floats for large floats as you need. Of course some people want their rig to be neutral and others want it to be slightly negative.

If you are so inclined you can calculate the in-water weight of all your stuff and the flotation of each float and come up with a pretty precise mathematical computation of the flotation you need. I tend to just experiment and try to get what I want.

The floats are available from the manufacturer and from most of the usual online underwater photo stores.

• Like 1

I have almost the exact same rig , though with the 12-50 lens and zoom gear and flat port that are definitely heavier. Even with 4 Stix jumbo floats its definitely negative. I would like a little more flotation and will probably add 2 more of the same floats. However I find the rig to be compact enough that handling is generally pretty good

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements