Sign in to follow this  
dsanders

Underwater British Columbia Showreel

Just posting my new Underwater British Columbia Showreel... shot on the Canon EOS 5DMark II ... edited and graded on Final Cut Pro X.

Perhaps a little long for a showreel... but let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Dale

Edited by dsanders

Dale, the showreel is just too long. There were also too many shots of the same thing (eg. diver with sponges). The closeup of that yellow fish shows way too much image stabilization in post (image vibration) and quite a bit out of focus to be of any use in stock . I do think you need to be more brutal with the clips as you are trying to sell your stock clips and showcase your skills, so it pays to put the best looking clips forward.

I suggest you cut short the showreel to say 2-4 minutes to show your best clips, then break out the story lines you included into various shorter sequences in your youtube channel, including species identification and behavior, so it's easily searchable. You have some nice timelapse stuff and that alone can be a story itself.

Thanks for your input Drew... guess I was trying to make it a showreel while at the same time making it a short film / trailer showcasing British Columbia's underwater wilderness. I do know that a showreel shouldn't be longer than four minutes long... better to make two shorter reels. Still have lots to learn about editing and grading... but will definitely make the next reels shorter. Agree as well that the two short clips of the Grunt Sculpin should have been left out.

Yeah I stopped right around 5:45, especially after listening to the same music loop over and over again. Some interesting stuffs though.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements