HI guys.

Decide to invest in to focus light for 100mm macro lens.

I woldime to hear some opinion for that.

What maker. How strong at.

Hello!

I have this lens on my Canon 6D and it's a great lens! You should buy it!

I use it on wedding rings shot and bride portraits.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Canon 6D | Canon 35 f2 IS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II | Canon 24-105 f4 L IS | Canon 100 mm Macro

Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta Brasov | Foto video Nunta Brasov | Foto Video Brasov

Hi Arnie

There's lots of advice on this already if you have a poke around the Forums.

Fisheye Fix lights have been popular. The latest flavour du jour, for focussing for U/w photography, seems to be Light and Motion's Sola range. I've just ordered the Sola 800 Photo (note, there is also the Sola 800 "Dive" version too - but the "Photo" version includes red LEDs).

I'd suggest the main features should be: ease of use and recharging, reliability, reasonably broad coverage; variable output (don't want to blind the talent), some way to switch to red light (scare the talent even less) and then price (always a tough one).

Whether to get one or not depends on the dive environment. If you shoot mainly in clear, sunlight water (dreams eh?!) then you may be able to get away without one even with a 100m macro lens. Or manual focussing may be enough. But if the light drops off or turbidity increases, then a focussing light, with a 100mm or 105mm lens, becomes more and more useful. It's balancing that out against the impact the light has on the critters - hence the suggestion that having the ability to switch to the less scary red light is a help.

Arnie

I have the same lens and have just been through the wringer trying to decide which focus light to upgrade to. Mostly, they seem to be overpriced and some quite bulky. So I settled on a neat little unit - i-Torch Venusian III - which comes with a mounting bracket, charger and two batteries. It has full power, half power and full power red. It is bright enough for modest video work which I don't do so I use most of the time on half power even on night dives. Have used it on about fifty dives recently and could not be happier. Cost was about UK£150

Sponsors

Advertisements