Sign in to follow this  
Storker

2nd strobe on Nauticam NA-EM5: Where to mount the strobe arm?

I'm seriously considering a second strobe for my NA-EM5, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to mount the arms. The rig right now is kinda semi-compact, with a single handle tray, and I've mounted a handstrap on the right side of the housing, which I'm often using to be able to hold the camera safely in one hand while using the other for something else than holding onto the camera rig.

As far as I can see, I've got two options for mounting the arms for the second strobe: Either buying a right side handle for my tray and mounting the arms on the top of that, or screwing a strobe mounting ball into the M10 hole on the right side of the top of the housing. I kind of like the latter option, as I believe I'll be able to continue using the handstrap and have somewhat easier handling of the rig, and my right hand will still be close to the control buttons and dials on the right side of the housing. However, I'm not sure if there are any problems with such a setup.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the two alternatives that I've overlooked? Any strong reasons to choose one of the options over the other?

There's some discussion and photos of alternative setups beginning in about the middle of page 12 of the massive EM-5 thread:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46536&hl=%20om-d%20%20em-5%20%20review%20%20mustard&page=12

I use the Flexitray with both handles, with the right handle moved tight against the housing. I can shoot one handed like this fairly easily, and find it gives me better stability when shooting two handed. But I am sure that using the M10 mount would also work just fine as long as the arms and clamps allow enough flexibility to position that right hand strobe. There is a photo of exactly that setup on p. 14 near the bottom

Edited by troporobo
  • Like 1

Lots of great info there!

A friend used a simple piece of flat (1/8th inch thick?) aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. Drill four mounting holes and cut to length with a hacksaw. Drill one hole on each end for a vertical handle and two holes slightly left of the middle for the housing mounting thumb screws. I would round the ends of corners with a file too. Offset the center holes just enough to allow the use of the hand strap. All you have in the setup is two handles and a little work.

My ULCS extension doesn't give me room for my hand between the housing and the right handle.

Bill

Not sure which strobes you have but the Inon S2000 are very compact.

I have the Inon D2000 strobes which are the same light output as the S2000 but are larger, more expensive and have more settings you probably won't use. If I was starting over, I would go with dual S2000 or 240's. The Inon 240 are twice as powerful on max but considerably larger, heavier, and more expensive.

I am shooting macro now and the smaller strobe bodies would be nice.

Does anyone use the Inon 240's on wide angle wrecks or do you use larger strobes?

I'm mostly shooting (rectilinear) WA, and I'm using a single Z240. It's powerful enough to give the amount of light I want in slightly murky Nordic water, but when I used it in in bright Mediterranean water, I struggled to get enough light to balance strobe with ambient.

There are two reasons I want a second strobe: While I think a single strobe works fine for WA, the light output, as I said, sometimes is abit on the low side. And if I try my hand at closeups/semi-macro, I get these ugly, sharp shadows. If I'm going shopping, it'll be a second Z240.

If you are shooting wide angle I would think it is better to have the strobe on the right handle. The M10 ball mount is OK for a short arm segment like a single 3" or 5" but I would not attach strobes for WA on that point.

If you shoot rectilinear you will not be that close to subjects and so you need decent length arms. I have 6+8 segments and they are too cumbersome to go on the M10 mount that I only use for focus light.

If I was shooting macro or macro video the mount point on top is good as a fill light but I can't see how a short arm segment would do well unless you have a fisheye lens and shoot really close.

Having said that in really clear water I have seen a rig with two arms on a triple clamp of the M10 mount produce great result. But I would not take that rig where there are particles in the water as the short arms would definitely fail

Having seen your pictures in kelp I would definitely say get a tray extension and a second arm!

Edited by Interceptor121

If you shoot rectilinear you will not be that close to subjects and so you need decent length arms. I have 6+8 segments and they are too cumbersome to go on the M10 mount that I only use for focus light

Yeah, I can imagine that. For the first strobe, I went for 5+7 segments as a compromise between getting the strobe far enough away from the camera, and portability. If I'd wanted a monster rig, I'd rather have bought an SLR housing and used my D700.

in really clear water I have seen a rig with two arms on a triple clamp of the M10 mount produce great result. But I would not take that rig where there are particles in the water as the short arms would definitely fail

Having seen your pictures in kelp I would definitely say get a tray extension and a second arm!

Duly noted, and there goes another wad of money. *sigh* I keep telling people if they think SCUBA is expensive and photography is expensive, just try combining the two...

--

Sent from my Android phone

Typos are a feature, not a bug

Handle 40€ + armball 10€: 50€

M10 ball: 30€

It's not *that* much, but I'm stretching my budget already. Oh well...

--

Update: I went for the second tray handle. However, I also got an M10 ball. That gives me the option to make the rig more compact by removing the tray entirely and mount a single strobe on the M10 ball. The strobe will probably arrive by mail in about a week's time.

Thanks for the feedback and tips, folks.

Good choice. The M10 may turn out useful for a dive light for wrecks or night dives or a strong focus light for wide angle

Yes, and if I can afford a GoPro sometime in the not too distant future, the M10 ball will be a great place to mount it. Just get the alignment right topside and use the E-M5's viewfinder to see where I'pointing the GoPro...

--

Edited by Storker

I started out with my two S2000 strobes mounted with one on the M10 ball mount on the NA-EM5 housing and the other on the left side handle on a ULCS TRDM tray I already had from a previous setup. I also used the Nauticam handstrap and it was great for macro work, nice and compact when used with 3" and 5" arms. However as Interceptor points out, once you use longer arms for wide angle, two handles is the way to go. It also frees up a bit of space for a focus light in the "cold shoe".

I ended up having an aluminium tray made up for $30 because I wanted something simple, rigid and which allowed me to place the handles where they suited me. I can access all controls with both hands on the handles. (I don't wear gloves)

Having two handles also allowed me to have a strap rigged up between them for the boat crew to use when passing the camera to or from me when I was in the water.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements