rondevbc

Ikelite View Finder Fog

Hi all, wondering if anyone else has or is having the same problem I am. the view finder on my 20D / T5i housing is fogging up. The outer lens is the culprit (looks to be plexiglass). wondering if i can pull it apart, dry it really well and put it back together.. or is there a factory seal that has gone or perhaps a special gas within the eye piece to stop this from happening that has now leaked out. I emailed Ike and asked to purchase a new one and they did the usual.. send us your housing for a month and we will fix it for you. Any Idea's or similar

yes i am having the same issue it has very slight fog when stored but gets much worse when in the water it must have very slight condensation between the inner and outer lens i have had the housing nearly 3 years so it is well overdue for service (some buttons starting to stick) will get ikelite to check the viewfinder when they service it, but will be without it for 4-5 weeks i suspect ,not looking forward to that

Edited by scuba-s

It sounds like you have moisture trapped inside your viewfinder. The question is how did it get there. Yes you can take the viewfinder apart, dry it out but can you get it back together with dry air and no dust and sealed better than it was from the factory? The o-ring that holds the front lens in is the key, it's hard to get out without damaging it and even harder to get back in.

My suggestion is to remove the viewfinder and send it in for repair. You might ask for a cross ship?

Good luck

looking at just sending viewfinder off to ikelite to fix fog problem ,how hard is it to remove and reinsert viewfinder,do they seize up over time ,as i have had the housing for nearly 4 years now?

Edited by scuba-s

It's easy. Use a butter knife that fits in the little notches and unscrew

Suggest that you purchase a complete set of spare o-rings for the entire housing configuration (factory rebuild kit). Also get a set of c-clips that go on the control shafts.

Before disassembling anything with o-rings its good to have spares standing by just in case. If you're sending the viewfinder off for service, ask Ike to include a rebuild kit when they return the viewer. Not sure of the cost for the kit.

If your housing hasn't been serviced for a few years it might be time to do that. ALL o-rings & c-clips should be replaced at this time.

Edited by jcclink

have decided to buy the service kite and do it myself (serviced the odd sticky button in the pass with no issues(the c- clips can be a pain to remove thru) got a price for a new viewfinder and by the time i pay for freight from australia to ikelite and get it repaired,not to mention the minimum 4 weeks without the housing, i would be better off getting a new one,i am looking at getting the canon 7d mark2 and matching housing when it is released later this year{hopefully} so will be selling the housing and camera so do not want to go overboard getting it serviced by ikelite as it is in pretty good nick ounce i get the new viewfinder anyways.

Edited by scuba-s

Sponsors

Advertisements