MagnusW

Experience with Subal dome ports

Does anyone in here have knowledge about Subals domeports?

What is the weight of the DP-100, DP-SWB and DP-FE dome ports and which of them is best suited for the panasonic 8mm fisheye lens.
Which port would you suggest with the olympus 9-18mm and is there any optical difference between the DP-100 and DP-SWB when used with the 8mm panasonic or 7-14mm panasonic?

I use the ZEN underwater optical glass dome port for the Panasonic 8mm fisheye on a Nauticam housing. This is a 100mm port with a Subal type III mount which is used with a Nauticam to Subal port adapter. For the Panasonic 7-14, Olympus 12-40 F/2.8 and several other lenses I use the ZEN Under 170mm port which mounts direct to the Nauticam housing without any adapter. No port for the Nauticam housings works with both the 8mm and the 7-14mm. These are the best ports available for the Nauticam M43 housings when using these lenses.

It would help to know which housing you intend to use these lenses with in order to advise on the correct port.

Subal recommends the DP-100 dome port for both the 8mm and 7-14mm panasonic on their website so thats why I´m wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Thought it might be a god alternative to the zen glass ports when used with the Nauticam to Subal port adapter and then one could use the larger sizes for Over/unders as well.

I intend to use them with the Nauticam housing for Olympus E-M1.

Also looking for a larger port (larger than Nauticams 3.5 and 4.33) for the 8mm panasonic for over/unders and thought maybe the larger subal alternatives could be good options?

What is the weight of the zen ports you use? I have not found any mention of the weights anywhere...

Any reason you chose the Zen 100mm port instead of the Subal DP-100 port? Are they comparable?

Phil,

Which would you take to Palau and Truk with the NEX-7 and Nauticam housing?

1. The Sony 10-18mm and Zen acrylic dome.

2. The Zeiss 12mm and big Subal dome with the adapter?

I have both but can't take them both. Looks like I have stuck with the NEX-7 rather than switch to the EM-10.

TedJ

You can read my review on the ZEN Underwater DP 100 dome port with Subal mount and adapter for Nauticam Mini housing in the issue of uwpmag.com that posted today. I am a little unclear on which "Subal" type ports you are looking for information on, those made by Subal or those made by ZEN with the Subal moment. I have not tried the Panasonic 7-14 zoom with the DP 100 port but I can't imagine that it would have very good corner sharpness V. the Zen 170mm dome made for rectilinear lenses. The DP 100 is designed for fisheye lenses. I would expect that using a 200mm or 230mm port ZEN or Subal on the port adapter with the proper extension would work well with the 7-14 zoom especially for over/under.

TEDJ, I think the Ziess 12mm is the best W/A lens made for NEX/A cameras. That being said if you intend to shoot wrecks or larger scenes the 10-18 wll have the better coverage. Have you tried the Sony lens in the Subal type port? I don't know if that lens will work in that port because I have never tested that lens.

I really like the results with the Zen 100mm optical glass port.

post-2618-0-46192100-1404229567_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements