divengolf

Macro Gear at Cocos Is.????

I'm headed to the Cocos in a couple weeks with the Undersea Hunter folks. I shooting a D7000 in an Aquatica housing with 8" dome and bring both a Sigma 17-70 macro and Tokina 10-17 FE.

Is there any need to bring flat port, 60 mm micro and 105 mm lenses?

When I went to Socorro a couple years ago, I took the macro stuff, but never used them. I assume that Cocos is similar.

Thanks for your input.

totally similar, went to Cocos in 2013 and going again in this August. Do not bring macro stuff, no macro sites there and no night diving for macro is available from underseahunter. only for big fish: hammerheads, grey reef sharks, tiger sharks etc.

We just got back from Cocos, our third trip. Undersea Hunter group is great, boats are all good and the crews are excellent. But sadly El Nino has hit and the water was almost 80 degrees. The people who did the sub ride said the same goes at the greater depths. Most of the hammer heads we saw were down below 130'fsw. Those were in pairs no big groups. We did run into some schools in the open water around 50' but they were shy, typical, and no one got a decent photo of them. We had been hoping to see the tiger sharks but they were also a no show. Of course all the other great subjects are there, white tips, various schools of Jacks, the other group had dolphins and a school of silkies. Cocos is famous for changing day to day so surely others will have more luck.

So you may want to bring something to do fish portraits even some macro. We will go back but it pains me to say it but it will not be till El Nino is finished.

Edited by NWDiver

Thanks guys. El Nino-Great News.

I didn't go on Undersea Hunter but I really enjoyed shooting a little macro in Cocos. I shot macro on non-shark-feeding-frenzy night dives and a couple of day dives.

http://www.InspiredToDive.com

There were two nice frogfish and a pair of harlequin shrimp in the main achorage on my last trip. The boat crew and skipper were tripping all over themselves to get a shot of the Harlequins, guess they're not common. A 60mm might be fun to take along to get some nice whitetip faces too. I'm going to try and get back there in 2015 and plan to drag the 60mm along.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

If I take the 60 mm then I have to take the flat port, etc. Do you believe that I can get decent semi macro-pics with the Sigma 17-70 at the 70 end in a dome port? I rarely shoot the sigma at 70. I'll usually go to my 60 or 105 if I'm expecting small stuff, so I don't have much experience with it at 70.

Thanks.

Harry

Some one else will have to help you with the 17-70 question. I've never tried it. I'd for sure make the first dives in the shallow arreas with the wide angle on. You never know what is going to show up in Cocos. Tigers, whale sharks, etc. I've never been a fan of the 17-70 but the anchorage at Cocos might be a great place to use it.

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements