Phil Rudin

Olympus 12-40 F/2.8 and the Zen Underwater DP 170 n85 port

We're back from a month in Palau and Truk.

Barbara shot with the EM-1 and 12-40mm.

The quality of her images seems better than mine with the NEX-7 and 10-18mm Sony lens.

I like the versatility of the em-1 and 12-40 as well.

And since we had to buy another camera (another thread discusses this issue), I may swap for another housing.

I have recently read a lot of notes about the 12-40 not being a good lens for underwater.

I think it's great.

I am personally a big fan of the 12-40 in the zen dome, it seems very versatile and very good quality.

We're back from a month in Palau and Truk.

Barbara shot with the EM-1 and 12-40mm.

The quality of her images seems better than mine with the NEX-7 and 10-18mm Sony lens.

I like the versatility of the em-1 and 12-40 as well.

And since we had to buy another camera (another thread discusses this issue), I may swap for another housing.

I have recently read a lot of notes about the 12-40 not being a good lens for underwater.

I think it's great.

TedJ, have you got any examples of these photos? A Flickr link? I would be interested to have a look :-)

I agree that if you can afford this combination it is outstanding for both above and below water shooting. If I had to pick just one lens for an assignment that included both over and under shots this would be the lens. Quite sharp and a very wide range of coverage. You can read my review in the current issue of uwpmag.com, this is a free PDF download until 1Nov 14. Images include both ends of the zoom range.

post-2618-0-50745900-1414002922_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-05224500-1414002935_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-07024100-1414003004_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

TedJ, have you got any examples of these photos? A Flickr link? I would be interested to have a look :-)

Barbara is editing right now and we're just about to head back down to Florida. We should have a link to our zenfolio gallery in about two weeks.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what the balance is like with the nauticam acrylic dome equivalent?

I am just wondering if I need to add any weight anywhere to make it as easy as possible to use in the water. I am unsure about this as I have never used a large dome in the water before and I picked one up for a very reasonable price.

The rig balances with the dome facing upwards. It is somewhat a nuisance but Barbara got used to it.

She ditched the longer arms that she used to use with the INON z240 strobes and does not have any flotation on the short arms.

She hasn't gotten finished with the thousands of images we took while in Palau and Truk, but I'll put up a link shortly.

After viewing many of the raw images, it is clear to me that the EM-1 and 12-40mm lens is superior both in quality and versatility to my Sony NEX-7 rig,

although it is not quite fair to compare a 12-40mm lens to a 10-18mm lens, regardless of the quality of the lens. I'm looking forward to the new Olympus very wide pro lens, which may get me to switch to the Oly EM-1.

Ted, many thanks for the reply, I thought that would be the answer.

Do you think adding some weight to the bottom of the dome would help it? I'm just trying to think of a way to make it more user friendly in the water

I'm planning to get in a pool soon to test it all out and want to take with me some options to try

Ted, many thanks for the reply, I thought that would be the answer.

Do you think adding some weight to the bottom of the dome would help it? I'm just trying to think of a way to make it more user friendly in the water

I'm planning to get in a pool soon to test it all out and want to take with me some options to try

I'm not Ted, but can share my experience, in the hope it helps. I used to have a 6" acrylic dome for the 7-14. To combat its handling issues, I bought an ankle weight; one of the ones you fill yourself with sand, and then I experimented with how much sand I need to make the dome less inclined to tip up. It helped, was not completely successful because the weight was too close to the housing. I was thinking of using tape, velcro or glue to attach some lead strips to the bottom shade portion of the housing, and then learned that there are stick-on weights that can be found at hobby/model railroad shops and for balancing tires. I don't know how well they stay on underwater because before it came to that, I moved to a 7" glass dome that would accommodate the then-new 12-40.

I would suggest you try the stick on weights. They are available on ebay if you cannot find them elsewhere.

That solved the problem.

Draq, good shout about the weights, many thanks for the feedback

I take it the glass dome is much more balanced? I would invest in the glass dome if i knew it would fit the up coming 7-14mm lens :-)

Its not really that it is better balanced, rather its just heavier, so the entire rig has a balance point that allows the dome to be more horizontal.

The weights might work fine on the ears of the dome, never tried it. Barbara never complained about it and actually it became a reminder to "shoot up" and of course, get closer!

• Like 1

I don't know whether it is balance or just weight, but I find that the glass dome is much more comfortable to hold since it is not always wanting to twist upward. On the other hand, I did need to more buoyancy to the setup. Adding weights to the shade of the acrylic dome should accomplish the same thing. I, too am very much hoping the new 7-14 will work in the current Zen dome.

Sponsors

Advertisements