paratom

Do you use handles for your housing?

I wonder if you guys do use your UW housing with or without handles?

And if you use just one flash - do you still use 2 handles or rather just one handle and hold the camera with your right hand directly?

Thanks a lot, Kind Regards, Tom

With two strobes two handles

With one strobe you can have a single handle for stills however if you shoot video a second handle helps but it is not mandatory

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

I'm thinking it may depend on the ergonomics of your specific housing and handles. On my S100 setup I like using just one handle on the left because of the way my right hand fits on the housing and the shutter release. When using two strobes I mount the second on the ball attached to the top of the housing where the focus light is in this image.. I've also seen folks use a Y clamp off one ball to mount two strobes on a small hosing. But as noted I'm not using it for video.

post-4526-0-45648900-1404875887_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Steve

Steve set up is quite neat for macro and close up work for both stills and video. For wide angle you want to be able to widen the light beams so for me a second arm mounting point is essential and as usually my arms are quite heavy on land I would not chance the cold shoe or the M10 ball mount point

Agree partner, That's why I said "It depends". I'm not sure what the OP is shooting or why, I have found that most questions here rarely have black and white answers. Far too many variables, but that's what makes it fun.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi guys.

I intend to shoot about 70% wide angle and maybe 20-30% macro. my dive vacation this summer will be mainly wide angle.

I once used a nikonos woth 1 handle and flash 8years ago and plan to get back into diving.

The question about handles is of interest for me, because it also will influence my choice of camera. thats why I am interested in your experiences. i get the impression that for my needs ( wide angle and macro) 2 handles really do make sense.

All old Nikonos users are welcome here. :drink: and yes for primarily wide angle, to get the strobes spread out, two handles helps a lot. The bigger the camera gets the more sense it makes.

Good luck,

Steve

All old Nikonos users are welcome here. :drink: and yes for primarily wide angle, to get the strobes spread out, two handles helps a lot. The bigger the camera gets the more sense it makes.

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I would be even tempted by using Nikonos lenses on A7!in Aquatica housing but thats this combo is expensive imo for what it is.

i have used point and shoot and dSLR cameras, and for all I have found that a tray with 2 handles is best.

It is easy to make a tray out of ABS or Plexiglass plastic 1/4 inch sheet and two handles of Plexiglass 3/4

in rod or aluminum tube. The tools are simple, a sabresaw, hand drill and hack saw. The parts can be glued

or screwed together with thin machine screws.

The tray consists of a base plate for the housing, the two handles, and a top tray connecting the tops of the handles, so that the tray has a square outline.

This top tray stabilizes the unit and carries ball mounts for the strobes and focus lamp.

Even for my Nexus D7000 housing I made a two handle tray, it works fine.

It is also important to use a safety lanyand from the housing to the BC, that way I can let the housing assembly hang loose when

I need both hands to adjust weight belt or other equipment, or when I am doing a deco stop.

For flotation I use PVC aircraft foam, AirCraft Spruce foam O1320-001, secured with cable ties or electric tape, it does not

compress and my housing assembly has minimal negative buoyancy.

Do It Yourself all the way, it is fun.

For flotation I use PVC aircraft foam, AirCraft Spruce foam O1320-001, secured with cable ties or electric tape, it does not

compress and my housing assembly has minimal negative buoyancy.

Do you have a current part number? This doesn't match anything on the Aircraft Spruce website. Thanks.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/foam.html

Sponsors

Advertisements