DiverPam

help ASAP...missing retainer clip on button in housing

Hey guys...I need help ASAP. I am in Cozumel and need to see if I can rig something up so I can still use my camera. There is a retainer clip on the inside of my housing that has come off and I can't find it. It holds the buttons in place. The missing part is the retainer clip on the back of one of the bottons. In the picture, you can see it missing on the bottom button. It is flat and silver and looks like it keeps the round knob from sliding out of place.

Here is a picture showing what is missing, Hope this helps.

post-25529-0-43900800-1405901605_thumb.jpg

I was considering using electrical and duct tape on the outside of the housing to hold it in as well as having it under a vacuum.

I really want to get this usable since we are scheduled to swim with the whale sharks while here. I really want my camera for that!

Any suggestions welcome!

DiverPam

Hi Pam

Are there any spare parts on board??? Ikelite users probably use the same C Clip?? if not you might get buy with placing a proper fitting washer on the shaft and then twisting some fine wire in the grove where the C clip is supposed to be. I hope you have the rubber / vinyl cap also. this may work.

Also if you don't need the button or another button remove the button, remove the spring reinsert the button and either use the wire or tape solution you suggested.

A vacuum system would also help but it may pull the button in and activate that function on the camera.

best of luck, I am sure you will have spare C clips on the next trip.

• Like 1

Hi Pam

I am sure you will have spare C clips on the next trip.

You bet I will! Thanks for the suggestion. The last few dive trips have seen a myriad of problems. Ready for a problem free trip.

Thanks Bill...tried it. Would not pull a vacuum, so I thought not putting it in the water was the better choice for tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a retainer clip on the island somewhere tomorrow.

Diverpam

Have a look at the multi selector buttons or any other controls that may have 2 clips on the same shaft and that you can live without.

I had a similar problem on my Aquatica D3 housing while travelling on a live aboard with no spares available. I could not dive with a button with no retaining clip (the clip failed and fell off - luckily I picked up the leak in the rinse tank before diving and avoided a major flood). I used a clip from the "down" button which held on a little arm which pushed on the control on the camera. The button itself had another clip which kept it in place and the housing water tight. The only loss of functionality was that I lost the use of that button and so could only scroll in one direction in the menue systems. I kept the arm in a safe place and replaced the clip when I got home. I now carry spare clips.

Have not seen the Aquatica D90 housing, but it may have another internal clip that you can use in that way.

Thanks Bill...tried it. Would not pull a vacuum, so I thought not putting it in the water was the better choice for tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a retainer clip on the island somewhere tomorrow.

Diverpam

Hi Pam

i agree, no vacuum = no diving with housing = no flooding = disappointed photographer

much better than flooded camera

Bill

The spare part you are looking for is called a "C clip". Some hardware stores might have them. The other temporary solution is to use thin metal wire to tie the button shaft from the inside just at the C clip groove for the C clip. In a desperate situation you might want to locate any left-over telephone cable, electrical wire or similar that would have relatively thin strands (not the hair-like wire, neither the thick single stranded wire) and strip it.

Pam.

The clip is also known as an "E" clip. I had one break on an Aquatica D70 housing some years ago, so I bought a bunch. If you're not able to find any replacement in Coz, PM me when you get home and I'll send you some.

Harry

I had the same issue with my Aquatica AD300 housing. The E clip fell of the playback button during the dive and I only noticed the button was protruding a bit more than usual when I was getting ready for the 2nd dive. I put duct tape on it and did about another 10 dives without issue. I tried the Ike clips but they were different.

I now carry about a dozen spares.

Edited by PIG004

Sponsors

Advertisements