dckiteboards

Ikelite housing lens reflection problems

Just picked up a ikelite housing for the 5d2 and i had it out yesterday shooting and i was in multiple lighting situations and I was getting lens refelection in the 8' dome port when i would go underwater.

I emailed ikelite and well see what they recommend.

sounds like everyone is using gaffers tape/socks etc.. Im pretty unimpressed with this situation as I have a 200 dollar ewa marine ziplock bag that yields better photos than this 2500 dollar housing /setup? I would never trust my ziplock bag however and i know ill work out the kinks but just a little erg'd

thanks!!

C

I'm curious in what light, I've only had this when using a strobe that was aimed a bit through the housing and then it was still a faint reflection.

it seemed to be any light underwater. i emailed ikelite and he said dont shoot in the sun. I feel thats a real crappy response as they should be addressing this and offer neoprene sleeves or something at least to buy for your lens?

no strobes and no filters.

Are you using a shade on your dome port?

A friend of mine had a similar problem. At my urging, he posted here...

In summary, there were two things going on... At the heart of it though, was strobe positioning. If it/they are too far forward, it really exasperates the problem it seems. I little experimentation might help.

Personally, I hate the thoughts of sticking Gorilla Tape or anything else on a lens. The things are works of art and this just seems abusive.

This is my friend Andrew's post...

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51067&hl=%2Bikelite+%2Breflection

Edited by Stoo

what you can do, is to have the hood on the lens itself shaved off . this should stop it - even with my sea cam super dome I have a slight problem when shooting upwards

i used neoprene sleeves glued together from a old wetsuit on the neck of the port, this helped somehow.
Gaffer tape or maybe better self vulcanizing tape as it is watertight/proof will do the trick also.

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements