BOYDY

Olympus O-MD E-M1 and Sea&Sea YS-D1 compatibility issues

Hi rc mode is off and camera is on version 1.4 firmware but as I said before if you are doing macro usually it's ok but the further away from subject you go the problem gets worse with EV dial adjusted

ok guys what i have done is check a few things so here goes if you want full use of EV dial on ys-d1 when set to TTL you can have 1/320 but no higher f stop than F14 if you want F22 then no faster shutter speed than 1/160 here are a couple of photos first is F18 AND 1/200 next is F18 AND 1/250 the faster the shutter speed and higher the F stop the worse it gets

post-3418-0-90394100-1407168265_thumb.jpg

post-3418-0-17467800-1407168300_thumb.jpg

Edited by BOYDY

Does the olympus have a no preflash mode? If it does i would try that with strobe in no preflash to see if you get a faster reaction?

Hi the only way for the pre flash not to work is to put the flash on manual after that you only get 1 flash when flash fires.

Yes do that and set the strobe in no preflash. Just to see if the ttl preflash is creating a delay

Yes it works fine on manual always has done but if you want to use TTL after the setting i gave earlier the camera and strobe dont sync i.e 1/320 the highest F IF F14 and if you want to shot up at F22 then fastest shutter is 1/160 but on manual all is ok

Ok so the issue is compatibility with the olympus ttl pre flash system. I guess this is an annoyance with macro shots

close macro is ok its when you go a little bit further away from the subject,if you leave the EV on 0 then its fine you just cant tune it any if over or under exposed but just went up to the mates plugged his inon s2000 onto my omd em1 tryed everything and all works fine

close macro is ok its when you go a little bit further away from the subject,if you leave the EV on 0 then its fine you just cant tune it any if over or under exposed but just went up to the mates plugged his inon s2000 onto my omd em1 tryed everything and all works fine

The s2000 is a small strobe so will react very quick however my Z240 also does 1/320 with the D7100. I don't have an Olympus so can't tell but I bet it works fine too.

When you say EV 0 is this on the strobe or on the camera? If it is on the camera it is possible that the strobe doesn't work well once you do adjustments?

The EV is always been on strobe but the inon worked great if the camera was on ttl and strobe on ttl EV on strobe set to 0 you got good ttl at 1/320 and f22 if I adjust EV on strobe positive it gives brighter photo and if I turn EV to negitive it gives darker photo like it should at any distance

Sounds good to me pal thx for the feedback you've been a great help

I have shot some images tonight in my living room at f22 in TTL at 1/320 with various exp comp on the flash from -1 to +1 and the images come out ok.

Same seems to be the case for manual flash mode.

SO far I can not find the same problem like you.

On the other side I ask myself - how often do you need f22 with m43?

It seems one needs to crank up ISO in the 1600 range to get proper exposure with the YS-D1 at that f-stop and medium distance (with FE-lens).

So

You need f/22 with a 60mm lens and you would not crank up the ISO you would leave it at 200

This is not a FE lens scenario where you would want some amount of ambient light

Think about black background

You need f/22 with a 60mm lens and you would not crank up the ISO you would leave it at 200

This is not a FE lens scenario where you would want some amount of ambient light

Think about black background

I think he said it works fine at Macro distance and the problem occurs at medium distance.

If you shoot f22 at medium distance you reach the limit of flash power of the YS-D1 if you stay at low ISO.

Anyways- IMO the question is why do the OPs camera-flash-combo show a problem which seems not to exist whith my samples of the same equipment?

Is it a) a defect piece of equipment (and if so is it flash or camera) b) is anything wrong with the settings c) does it occur to other people who use the same equipment

OP - did you contact sea&sea and ask for an explanation? Thats what I would do for sure.

Hi paratom what firmware is in your camera mine is 1.4

hi there,

in wo have 12 dives with this combo and Coupé of Hunderters Images. nö Flash synch Problem so gar.

i think you schuld letzten Sea and Sea Check your Flash and or Olympia your Camera.

Retardation,Tom

I just returned from a trip to Ambon, where I experienced this problem of half, and completely, dark images when shooting with my EM-1/Nauticam/YS-D1s at speeds above 1/200. At the time, I googled and found this thread. A number of alternate options have been discussed here, but nothing of note regarding the problem as stated: YS-D1 + EM-1 + 1/250 producing a half dark image. I contacted Sea & Sea, described my problem and referenced this thread. This is the response I got from them a few minutes ago:

Hello Bob,

The SEA&SEA YS-D1 is designed to work with flash sync speeds up to 1/200. The strobes are not equipped for “high speed sync”, sync speeds greater than 1/200 sec. The strobe timing will not pair higher than 1/200th of a second, leaving a portion of the image dark. There is no update at this time if SEA&SEA will produce strobes capable of high speed sync.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Sea&Sea USA

2380 Mira Mar Ave.

Long Beach, CA 90815

562-498-3708

So, to those of you who have been successful shooting above 1/200, good for you. For the rest of us, we're SOL.

Bob W

Hi Bob i do not have the camera or strobes anymore i did upgrade to inon z240 and had no problem but what you said now makes a lot of sense,i did contact sea&sea but at that time they didn't have any idea what was wrong now i think they have had several complaints and just came up with to fast a sync speed,thanks for the reply anyway

boyd

I replied to the above note from Sea & Sea asking whether or not the new YS-D2 strobes are capable of "high Speed sync". The comeback was both suprising and disappointing:

Hello Bob,

I am sorry to inform you that the SEA&SEA YS-D2 will not sync in speeds higher than 1/200.

Thank you,

Sea&Sea USA

2380 Mira Mar Ave.

Long Beach, CA 90815

562-498-3708

Bummer. I think I'll start a new thread providing this information so that folks won't have to stumble on by searching on a problem. It'll be right out there on it's own.

Bob W

I own a pair of YS-D1 and they work fine on my EM1 since ~50 dives up to 1/320s.

Simon

I own a pair of YS-D1 and they work fine on my EM1 since ~50 dives up to 1/320s.

Simon

In TTL mode or Manual? The sync problem only manifests itself in TTL mode.

Bob W

Hi Bob,

it works in TTL as well. Tested it yesterday on Couch and in Lake ;) But TTL tends sometimes to overexpose, but thats another issue :)

This is weird especially after the support's statement. Has S&S issued any firmware fix since November, Simon? I resisted the -20% offer on the d1 (fotografit), maybe would't be such a bad idea...

Sponsors

Advertisements