Oceantony

Utila is still good?

f I go I plan to stay at Laguna Beach Resort.

Is it worth to pay $1300 for six days 3 dives a days meals etc.

I am not a just a diver that want to see a lobster or a moray, I want to the opinion of photographers who visited recently.

I heard healthy reef but not a lot of fish?

Thanks a lot in advance for your attention and answers.

Cheers

Lots of big brown sea fans dominated when I was there a while ago. Much of the interesting fish life was hidden or at least harder to see unless you explored. We did see some sharks, wobbegongs, a few of those juvenile black and white fish that don't hold still (don't recollect their names) that are usually under a reef overhang and well protected with other obstructions. There are anthias and some other decent fish life but if you are wall diving its a tad harder to shoot the reef fish. On the walls you can see lobster and big sponges and some bigger fishes (box fish, puffers, etc). Here's my woebegone pic.

I hear Laguna Beach Resort is a nice place. I stayed at Utila Lodge where harry lives/lived.

Joe

post-1513-0-72578900-1406496337_thumb.jpg

Kelpfish wrote: "a few of those juvenile black and white fish that don't hold still (don't recollect their names) that are usually under a reef overhang and well protected with other obstructions." - I would assume that you are talking about juvenile drums? They are great fun to watch; I always find them amusing.

Are you going to Utila to look for whale sharks? When I was there for six weeks in Feb-Mar 2004, they were the big draw. Dive boats would look for them in between dives and/or on the way back to town from dive sites on the north side of the island. And other boats would go out solely to look for whale sharks, especially from the nicer resorts like Laguna. If/when you get to snorkel with one (or several) whale sharks, it'll be hard to imagine a better photo opportunity. I saw one on a proper dive, too, though I was doing my safety stop and didn't get a chance to get a shot off. There were also rough-toothed dolphins, quite a few hawksbill turtles, spotted eagle rays, big schools of horse-eye jacks, barracudas, and other photogenic species. The juvenile drums were definitely popular macro subjects. Also look for sargassum frogfish in the floating sargassum.

• Like 1

We stayed at Laguna Beach Resort last May. Unless things have changed, it is 4, or 5 dives/ day, not 3. In short, it is a great dive resort all around. The boats take up to 8 divers, we had 6 on ours. Dive staff are very helpful and our crew were both both local to the island. Some of the most beautiful coral gardens I've ever seen. Whale sharks are usually on the agenda (snorkel only). The only downside is above water, the sand fleas are everywhere so bring protection.

I did 15 dives there over a 10 day stay I think. Frequently saw nurse sharks, eagle rays, sting rays, turtles, etc. I didn't notice much diversity in the macro life but that's not to say it isn't there (I wasn't looking very hard). Surface intervals are always interesting with very frequent dolphin and whale shark sightings. Alton's (the shop I dove with) recently had their divers swimming with a gigantic sunfish.

Overall I'd say it's great value and you definitely have the chance to see some big stuff... and party a lot.

Oh and at Alton's I think I paid $250US for 5 nights accom and 10 dives. Very basic room but right on the water. shared bathrooms. cold showers. Really good value though.

Are any of the Utilia resorts off the sand. I stayed at Inn of Last Resort on Roatan when it was open and the sand flies were minimal because the resort was away from the sand.

Sponsors

Advertisements