My Inon flash gun has developed a fault - it does not react to the flash strength dial when its in manual mode. It does flash, but weakly.

The only setting when it will flash at full power is on auto.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this?. It is an old gun so it's out of warranty, and I accept that i may need to "open it up", but I'd like to have an idea what I'm looking to fix inside.

Thanks, Pete

The problem is that in manual mode, the volume dial switch has no effect.

When testing it, the only way I could get more power was to switch it into auto mode on the top left hand dial. Switching it into STTL or FULL had no effect

I understand that it is the 2 bottom switches that are magnet/reed switches ( the spotting light and the pushup/down knob). Are the other 2 rotary controls, or do they have magnets too?

Have you run into this problem and is it solvable?

What interceptor 121 is referring to is the magnet in the advanced cancel circuit. It can stick or corrode thus activating the advanced cancel circuit causing a weak flash.

How would I tell if this is the problem, and is it fixable?

Is your advanced cancel circuit button in or out? With no preflash if should be pressed in. If it is a magnet problem on the advanced cancel circuit button it is fixable. Look at reef photos Inon settings: http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=7

Sometimes the ACC button fails and the strobe remains in pre-flash even if you press it

What camera have you got and how are you setting your flash? It is essential to know that to understand what the issue is

To both interceptor 121 and eyu.

My ACC button is in, and I have a D7100. I use a fibre-optic connector. There is no problem with the flash synchronising with the camera, its just the strength of the flash that is an issue. I am not aware of a problem with the ACC button. I use the flash in manual mode.

I have also undertaken a test with both flash guns in exactly the same settings and position, taking shots alternatively - there is definitely an issue with the output of this gun.

Please can you explain why a faulty magnet on the ACC button might affect the strength output/control if the flash is firing? That seems a bit odd.

Thanks for the link - it explains what is going on . That is very helpful.

Now I have to try and fix it.

Sponsors

Advertisements