Sign in to follow this  
albert kok

Personal Chumming Device (PCD)

Hi

There is a never ending discussion around the topic 'chumming or not chumming'. But we all agree on the issue that chumming should interfere as little as possible with the natural behavior of fish. The simple device I called PCD might be of help to bring fish closer to your camera, without disturbing the environment too much. I used it in the Mediterranean to attract groupers, but I think it might also work with larger predators like sharks. It could be especially useful for the individual diver in conditions when chumming on a larger scale, e.g. on a diving boat, is not allowed or undesirable.post-7335-0-21450000-1408371155_thumb.jpg

Edited by albert kok
  • Like 1

. . . it might also work with larger predators like sharks . . .

Seriously, you would put that in a BC pocket in open water? Is it somehow April 1st already?

I had exactly the same thought Robert. This one had me checking the calendar too. Albert you aren't seriously recommending this are you?

Steve

Hi Steve

I am not promoting anything, just suggesting a device that might work under the right UW conditions, and in the hands of experienced photographers working solo. Havent tried it with sharks (yet :crazy: )..It did work very well with the groupers. Its like feeding a cookie to a dog. After a couple of dives the groupers will recognise you and will come close, even without the device. Its called 'intermittent reinforcement'. The reinforcer in this case is a weak smell stimulus, not at all like a crate containing loads of dead fish parts. And you can alway hide the bottle under a stone or piece of coral, if you feel uncomfortable with carrying it in your BCD pocket. On the other hand, chumming with bait crates might still be the best and safest method for groups of divers/photographers going out to visit sharks under supervision,

Edited by albert kok

Put it on the back of your buddy's BC. Action shot! :clapping:

Put it on the back of your buddy's BC. Action shot! :clapping:

That's classic! Remind me not to buddy up with Jack. :bananashark:

Cheers,

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements