Jak Crow

Lens and/or port recommendations m 4/3?

I'm getting the Nauticam enclosure for my E-M1 and I'll also want to get some appropriate lens ports for the lenses I have. I'm definitely going to get the lens port and gear for the 12-50mm, but I'm wondering what else would be good to get. The lenses I have that I use underwater now are the 14-42mm, 9-18mm wide, and 60mm macro. I was thinking of getting the Panasonic 8mm fisheye. Any other lenses that may be good to use underwater?

The 12-50mm port will also take care of the macro lens or you could get the macro port which will also take the 12-50. The latter is a lot less money but you can't use the special macro mode. There have been a bunch of recent posts on wide angle prime and zoom lenses and their best ports. Just look for Phil Rudin and you should find all you need and then some.

Bart

I have used the 9-18 behind a ZEN170II port and the results look good. I also have used the 8mm FE because I thought its a must have but a prime FE is quite a special lens, the 9-18 seems much more flexible IMO, even if the 8mm FE might be better optically.

The 12-40 behind that ZEN Dome also works very good.

Why not start with your 12-50 and the 9-18 and then see how it works for you. Maybe thats all you need/want.

Which Zen port are you referring to so I can add it to my list? I did a search for what you posted, but didn't get anything.

I have some money to burn so I'm looking at getting everything together.

So I ended up getting the enclosure with the offset valve, the 12-50 lens port kit, the diopter flip, and the DP170 dome port. I'm holding on on the getting the fisheye lens and port for now. I've been shooting with an E-PL3 for about 4 years now, and I can't wait to get the E-M1 in the water. I'm also thinking of getting a used E-M5 and the Nauticam housing, or even just cheap Meikon housing for a backup when traveling.

Edited by Jak Crow

I have the 12-50mm, 60mm macro and 9-18mm wide and only one port: The 4" semidome which fits all of them.

With a couple of 3D printed zoomgears (I bought the "austrian gear") and the diopter flipholder, you are all set to go (optionally add a +2 dry diopter to the 9-18mm for added corner sharpness). It works like a charm and I don't miss the macro-mode on the 12-50mm at all. Having only one port for these 3 lenses saves money and more importantly: Travel weight.

There is a discussion about this setup elsewhere in these forum which convinced me to go for this.

PS. Why would you want to use the 14-42mm if you have the 12-50mm?

EDIT: Ah sorry - I realised too late, that you already bought a setup.

Edited by Baron Jensen

Sponsors

Advertisements