kc_moses

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

That's good to know. So I think it's safe to assume that the price is around $1500?

1100$ my friend sed, retail

That would be 1100$, my friend said, retail.

If it's announce in DEMA, why there is no news on their website? Hmm.......

The housing will be released early 2015. I think that there are several challenges with the port system due to the large sensor and aperture lens. At dema there were few prototype ports that looked quite different to what you would normally expect for a compact

What was shown at DEMA was a prototype housing and photos can be found in the Wetpixel DEMA review on the front page. The housing is smaller than an E-M5 housing, not larger. The housing also has the vacuum wiring and valve mounting point. A small dome can restore the original AOV of the lens lost behind the flat port. Also a flat port with 67mm threads for mounting the (also prototype) wide angle (110 degree) optical glass accessory lens. Popup strobe for fiber optic flash firing.

The ports, unlike most compact housings are interchangeable to optimize the cameras zoom lens for both stills and video.

Also shown was a prototype CMC-1 C/U lens. Designed for small sensors like M43 and compact cameras the CMC-1 has power about the same a SMC-1 and smaller and lighter.

Edited by Phil Rudin
  • Like 1

Thanks Phil, had to go to the Day part of the DEMA article to see the info. Seems like the the LX100 will get the interchangable lens system of multiple port for different uses. If that's the case I probably stick with the GH4. But I think I will pull the plug once the LX100 housing detail release with all the features confirm.

I am a bit confused by that elliptical flat port. I would hope for a flip diopter adapter to go on the dome as it does for the 4" wide angle port instead. The M67 port must be limiting the zoom I guess so not a wet lens in true sense. Will have to wait and see

Hey Moses, come on down this weekend and you can take the LX100 for a dive...

• Like 1

Hey Ryan,

come afterwards down to Costa Rica and bring me the housing, the camera is already here!

:-)

p.s. Yes i will buy it.

Thanks Ryan, I will be down in West Palm between Dec 9-14. I'm actually renting the GH4 housing from your shop. So hopefully I can check out the LX100 housing and compare them side by side.

Hey Moses, come on down this weekend and you can take the LX100 for a dive...

Ryan do you know more about the ports and if the mini dome can fit the flip diopter?

Does nauticam offer a close up lens for that strange flat port?

The flat port already sounds like a winner for macro already as it sports a 3cm focus distance at 24mm. With the wide angle add-on (if it works well) you can have a huge range! For super macro the CMC and voilà a super compact high quality machine with high flash sync...

What was shown at DEMA was a prototype housing and photos can be found in the Wetpixel DEMA review on the front page. The housing is smaller than an E-M5 housing, not larger. The housing also has the vacuum wiring and valve mounting point. A small dome can restore the original AOV of the lens lost behind the flat port. Also a flat port with 67mm threads for mounting the (also prototype) wide angle (110 degree) optical glass accessory lens. Popup strobe for fiber optic flash firing.

Stopped by Reef Photos today to pick up my GH4 rental housing. Had the chance to look at the LX100 housing. They only have the "all around" port attached to the housing. The size is not much bigger than the LX-7 housing. There are two port systems: "all around" and "flat port". The all around port lets user use the whole focal length of the camera. The "flat port" is shorter and has 67mm thread, and is say to work with a WA lens that Nauticam is developing and Inon UWL-H100 WA lens (UWL-H100+dome is being review/test). My guess is the "flat port" doesn't let you use the tele part of the focal length the camera has to offer. There is a feature on the housing that let you set the "focal length lock", to prevent you from going past certain focal length. I think using macro diopter on the flat port has limitation. The camera only reach 75mm, and if it's being limited further because of the short flat port, then macro feature would be limited.

The housing allows add on of vacuum valve like Phil mentioned. The smaller version of the SMC is developed for Point & Shoot camera. The housing should be available early 2015 (early to mid Jan). Price around $1200, and comes with both ports. So the vacuum valve should cost extra.

The "all around" port is rectangle, but not flat, it's slightly dome/curve so you won't be able to use any wet lens on top of it. The rectangle shape allows the use of 24mm end of the camera, yet it's long enough for the lens barrel to extend to use the tele end of the focal length. The only flat port is the short 67mm port allowing user to use WA wet lens. I will see if they let me take photos of the housing when I return my GH4 rental housing.

That's not my understanding. The flat rectangular port is actually flat and will take a flip diopter, this port will not retain land field of view in water. There is also a 3.5" dome. Both use the full zoom. Finally there is an m67 shirt port that limits the zoom for the wet wide angle lens

Just found this in Vimeo

Edited by kkfok

The LX-100 seems like it would be a great manual camera on land, giving real intuitive controls for things I found harder to get to on the LX-7. Started looking at it as a possible X-mas present for myself, replacing my LX-7, and my first underwater camera. But the lack of housings lead me to this very informed thread a few weeks back. Very much a newbie so please excuse my ignorance.

Could anyone on this thread comment on the Ikelite LX-100 housing that was released last week? I know it's been lightly discussed elsewhere in the forum, but I was particularly curious in comparison to the Nauticam housing discussed here.

It seems like the Ikelite housing cripples the ability to use manual focus due to missing controls? That's what I thought about their LX-7 housing as well, but I have no experience with it. Looking at the Nauticam LX-7 housing, it appears that all controls are available, and I assumed that would continue on the LX-100.

Thanks for any input! The Nauticam housing looks excelent, but the Ikelite is actually available before the 25th.

The Nauticam one and the 3.5" dome are already available for ordering here in Hong Kong

The ikelite housing for the lx7 lacked the manual focus lever and the Nd button. The first was not that important the second was important for video not for stills. The ikelite housing for the Lx100 lacks the focus mode and that for me is a killer for those who want to use the camera out of the box

cccam, it really depends on your budget. I had the LX-7 before I went on a trip to Indonesia, my budget was tight because of the trip, so I bought the Ikelite housing for the LX-7, thinking that it's almost half the price of the Nauticam (US$550 vs US$950). After the Indonesia trip, I realize the short coming of the Ikelite housing for its ergonomic issue with the cursor button, and a lot of the setting rely on you looking into the clear plastic housing using the "J" hook kind of knob to "fish" and turn the dial, like aspect ratio, etc. After my Indonesia trip, I sold the Ikelite housing and got the Nauticam housing. With the Nauticam housing, I can change setting with feel instead of looking at the housing. Some people like the Ikelite housing for the fact that you can see the O-ring since it's clear.

For the LX-100 Nauticam housing, you can add a vacuum valve to ensure tight seal before you get into the water, so it's a great feature that the Ikelite LX-100 housing won't offer.

The Nauticam one and the 3.5" dome are already available for ordering here in Hong Kong

The 3.5" dome is just a wetlens for point and shoot, not a dedicated port for the LX-100 Nauticam housing right? I will stop by Reef Photos and confirm the number of ports available for the LX-100 housing on monday.

The 3.5" dome is just a wetlens for point and shoot, not a dedicated port for the LX-100 Nauticam housing right? I will stop by Reef Photos and confirm the number of ports available for the LX-100 housing on monday.

The dome is a proper 3.5" port. The housing comes as default with the rectangular flat port but you can buy the dome or the short port for the Inon UWL-H100 or Nauticam wet lens

I have now seen the Gx7 housing that one comes with the same set of options but the default is a round flat port

I checked with Reef Photos when returning my GH4 rental housing. They can't tell me much because they don't have sufficient knowledge about the system. The rectangle port would be the standard port. The next one is the dome port, which they don't know if the full focal length could be used or not. Then the last port is the short flat port, and I was told the flat port only allow the use of 24mm focal length, hence there is a need of the zoom level lock.

I really don't see the use of the flat port if it doesn't allow zoom at all. If you want to use macro diopter, then the rectangle port + flip diopter is the only way to go.

Seems like every time I take to a different person, I get different answer. But the general consensus is the housing would be announce/release around Jan 15 if not a week earlier.

Sponsors

Advertisements