kc_moses

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

There will be full zoom with both flat and dome. Will need to be seen what happens to corners when fully zoomed in the dome but should not be an issue. Thanks for clarifying the short port it makes sense now

Take it with a grain of salt. If the short flat port only allows 24mm, then that port is only useful for people who already have the Inon UWL-H100 wetlens. For the rectangle port + flip lens holder, I'm not even sure you can use a WA lens on it (Inon, Opteka, or the Nauticam WA lens).

There is no estimate pricing for the additional port as well.

For those who are in the US, you can buy the LX100 through B&H mobile apps and get a 5% off discount, and they give you a 32Gb Sandisk Extreme card (worth $30) for free. There is also free shipping. I just place my order, thought I should pass the info along in case some body is on the fence to get it.

I don't like the control dials of LX100.

It does not have the traditional MODE dial on top for A, S, P, M.

Its a 2 stage activation process with the F ring on lens as 2nd stage switch.... which for me its so odd and not logical, I mean coming from Sony RX100mk1, Mk3 and even GH-4.

I do not understand the logic of two top dials, one being shutter speed and one other being EV compensation...why ?

I like cameras where I do not need to read the user manual first time use and its logical to operate it.

Other than this weirdo for MODE setting, its a nice camera for 2 hours I messed with it., where 20 minutes was for reading the User Manual....ha ha ha, trying to find the MODE setting.

Solid built. Decently big 7.2V 1,025 Mah battery for a camera this small where most other cams now uses 3.7V for USB charging compatibility.

Its freakin heavy at 400 grams vs RX100mk1 at 240 grams, me weighted them.

Video IQ is good.

For low light video it allows 6400 ISO, noise laden but if one need to capture at such low light for content and not quality, its not too bad.

Sure, I hate the add-on flash and not built in. I loose things which is not attached to a camera..LOL.

If say they increase US$50 and allow touch screen and buttons control like GH-4, that will be nice.

Land use touchscreem capable is nice for somethings. Underwater I prefer buttons control for sure, as it is a housing OEM nightmare to deal with touchscreen.

It does not have the 200mbps 1080p like GH-4 though.

At the price point is not a bad toy to own for a 4K junkie.

That's the short report for now.

The second ring is aperture not ev on the front. in video you are most likely going to set shutter speed fixed and let the camera do the rest. I wonder how the IA mode works for video in terms of shutter and ISO. The shutter priority modes on this camera don't have a max ISO in video that I find quite bad as I don't like the camera to be brighter than my eyes

I said the second dial on top is EV +-, the extreme right one.

The Lens Dial is F/Aperture but there is an A in red and must match with the bigger top dial also an A with red = P mode

Spin the lens Dial away from the red A for any F setting....while top big dial is A ( red ) = A mode.

Spin the big dial on top to select shutter speed, while lens dial in A ( red ) camera becomes S mode.

Spin fron lens dial away from A ( red ) to any F setting and at the same time top big dial to any shutter speed, we get M ( manual ) mode.

This is so confusing....LOL.

It has no separation between movie mode and still photo model like RX100 with its MOVIE MODE and sub menu :

- P mode

- S mode

- A mode

- Manual mode

In a good way its like, you can do all the manual setting all you like in video.

in S mode the rear small dial is unique, it can set shutter speed but limited to 2 down step and 2 up step of what the big top dial setting is.

Example :

I set shutter at 1/60 with big top dial.

While recording.....I then mess with rear small dial, it allows me to go 1/50 and 1/40 down and 1/80 and 1/100 up....he he he so unique and what purpose, I guess its fine tuning as the big top dial does not have 1/50 or 1/40 or 1/80 1/100. It has 1/60 and then jump to 1/125.

While recoding in P mode, all auto, spin the F lens dial and then it becomes A mode. Spin top shutter dial to any shutter speed setting, it becomes M mode. Indeed unique.

Must get to know the camera better, as my muscle memory and operational memory is still very much RX100.

Positive or not this setting method of LX100, I must use it in real recording situation to know more.

Accidental touch/spin sometimes can be a problem...LOL.

The iA mode shows none of shutter speed of aperture data on LCD, but allows us to mess with EV +- only, top dial right side. If close up shooting it shows the flower icon, the macro....that's it.

Its ISO can not be locked like RX100 to a certain range we want.

Minimum focus at max W.A is not bad, approx 4cm....its icon stated 3cm but visually I think its 4cm.

The Lens Dial is F/Aperture but there is an A in red and must match with the bigger top dial also an A with red = P mode

Spin the lens Dial away from the red A for any F setting....while top big dial is A ( red ) = A mode.

Spin the big dial on top to select shutter speed, while lens dial in A ( red ) camera becomes S mode.

Spin fron lens dial away from A ( red ) to any F setting and at the same time top big dial to any shutter speed, we get M ( manual ) mode.

This interface harkens back to the days of pre-auto exposure cameras. Then the aperture control was part of the lens, not in the camera. So you want to adjust the lens, you turn a dial on the lens. Want to adjust camera, turn a dial on the camera. In a sense, it's more logical than what we have now. I suspect that interface came from cheap automatics with one dial. Why else is it that the function of the wheel near the shutter button on my Canon SLR changes depending on the mode? As does the back dial?

I don't know if the LX100 controls are ultimately better, but it isn't new, it's the oldest thing under the sun.

It has no separation between movie mode and still photo model like RX100 with its MOVIE MODE and sub menu :

- P mode

- S mode

- A mode

- Manual mode

In a good way its like, you can do all the manual setting all you like in video.

in S mode the rear small dial is unique, it can set shutter speed but limited to 2 down step and 2 up step of what the big top dial setting is.

Example :

I set shutter at 1/60 with big top dial.

While recording.....I then mess with rear small dial, it allows me to go 1/50 and 1/40 down and 1/80 and 1/100 up....he he he so unique and what purpose, I guess its fine tuning as the big top dial does not have 1/50 or 1/40 or 1/80 1/100. It has 1/60 and then jump to 1/125.

While recoding in P mode, all auto, spin the F lens dial and then it becomes A mode. Spin top shutter dial to any shutter speed setting, it becomes M mode. Indeed unique.

Must get to know the camera better, as my muscle memory and operational memory is still very much RX100.

Positive or not this setting method of LX100, I must use it in real recording situation to know more.

Accidental touch/spin sometimes can be a problem...LOL.

The iA mode shows none of shutter speed of aperture data on LCD, but allows us to mess with EV +- only, top dial right side. If close up shooting it shows the flower icon, the macro....that's it.

Its ISO can not be locked like RX100 to a certain range we want.

Minimum focus at max W.A is not bad, approx 4cm....its icon stated 3cm but visually I think its 4cm.

What happens if you shoot in aperture priority instead with auto ISO on? I know the shutter speed goes to 1/25 or 1/30 minimum but how does it manage between iso and shutter?

This camera is target for users who have decent knowledge about shutter speed, aperture and EV. By knowing the relationship of that 3 properties, the dials give users control on the result. P/A/S/M mode is easier to use for beginner, but often this also make the user "not to think" much. I have a friend just pick up photography, he just keep rotate the dial from P to A to S etc. and keep taking shot after shots and don't know what to do when the picture come up not great.

LX100 might be confusing for new users, but over time, it will force user to think about the technical aspect of photography, which is not a bad thing. Look at it this way, it's not a camera for your grandma, so it's a camera for photo enthusiast, make you stand out from other Point & shoot people, and the price tag reflect that too.

This interface harkens back to the days of pre-auto exposure cameras. Then the aperture control was part of the lens, not in the camera. So you want to adjust the lens, you turn a dial on the lens. Want to adjust camera, turn a dial on the camera. In a sense, it's more logical than what we have now. I suspect that interface came from cheap automatics with one dial. Why else is it that the function of the wheel near the shutter button on my Canon SLR changes depending on the mode? As does the back dial?

I don't know if the LX100 controls are ultimately better, but it isn't new, it's the oldest thing under the sun.

Aha good info, thanks.

My first camera was a Vivitar back in the early 80s or very late 70s, 35mm film days but I forgot the details of its operation or the model number, I am sure it was not full manual AE because I won't want one ...LOL. I was like 13-14 years old back then.

I wanted a Nikon but for some reason the saleman was so good...he sold me a Vivitar....ha ha ha.

Later I got a cheap Nikon F-801 silver body. That was my last SLR 35mm film camera.

Later near mid 90s , I got a waterproof Canon A1, that ends my 35mm film camera ownership...I flooded it...LOL.

Next camera ownership was a digital one, used...Nikon Coolpix 5000 early 2000s.

And surely digital camera from then on....

I never had the opportunity to mess with pre-auto exposure one, my eldest brother did.

What happens if you shoot in aperture priority instead with auto ISO on? I know the shutter speed goes to 1/25 or 1/30 minimum but how does it manage between iso and shutter?

The display does not show what ISO it chooses nor shutter speed for A mode video, but for photo with half button press you see the data.

I also wish it will show shutter speed and ISO choosen for video... would be nice.

This camera is target for users who have decent knowledge about shutter speed, aperture and EV. By knowing the relationship of that 3 properties, the dials give users control on the result. P/A/S/M mode is easier to use for beginner, but often this also make the user "not to think" much. I have a friend just pick up photography, he just keep rotate the dial from P to A to S etc. and keep taking shot after shots and don't know what to do when the picture come up not great.

LX100 might be confusing for new users, but over time, it will force user to think about the technical aspect of photography, which is not a bad thing. Look at it this way, it's not a camera for your grandma, so it's a camera for photo enthusiast, make you stand out from other Point & shoot people, and the price tag reflect that too.

LOL....I bought this for its 4K video at small foot print, 12MP is crap by today's standard for still photo but its choosen by the designer to defend its 4K video I am sure. Even GH-4 still photo is crap. I got it for 4K video too, change-able lens model.

If I want to take serious photo , rarely though as I don't really like photo much ... I use my D800 or for simple ones for work I use my RX100mk1 or Mk3.

I am in a 4K junkie fever now, I already have two Hero4 Black 4K, Panasonic Bullet Cam 4K that HX-500 and that Inon wet wide angle lens for GoPro and wet close up wide angle lens...so me now hunting small footprint 4K camera which Nauticam will have housing for....he he he he.

I love small 4K cameras, regardless of its limitation they are cute and fun to use and more affordable.

Edited by SPP

If it was not for underwater use the LX100 is a winner however I am concerned of the fact we now have a port system with adapters

Ideally the dome port is fit for all purpose medium fish but the rectangular port is too narrow unless you go to Lembeh

The short wide port is good only for whale sharks or similar

Am really puzzled if I should bite the bullet and get the GH4 instead as there are promotions right now

12MP is crap by today's standard for still photo ......

Don't give in on the Megapixel count that the industry use to confuse users. Sony A7S has 12MP as well, is it s crap camera? Go and check it out. On the other hand, many Point and shoot has 20 Mp but their sensor size is smaller etc. Unless you're printing a poster or billboard, 12MP is good enough, at least it's enough for me.

If it was not for underwater use the LX100 is a winner however I am concerned of the fact we now have a port system with adapters

Ideally the dome port is fit for all purpose medium fish but the rectangular port is too narrow unless you go to Lembeh

The short wide port is good only for whale sharks or similar

Am really puzzled if I should bite the bullet and get the GH4 instead as there are promotions right now

Personally, I use the GH4 for on land use because the touch screen is great. And you can rent the NA-GH4 and give it a try like I did. After renting the housing, I realize I'm not ready for big investment like this, mainly because the Shogun is too big and too expensive. Besides, the 4K is only 30 fps at the moment, in two years there should be high frame rate 4K camera out so I should be ready for big interchangable lens system investment. For now I will just focus on composition, artistry and dive experience instead of get too caught up by the advance feature of the camera set up.

I was thinking the GH4 makes a decent still camera too for underwater use. The LX100 does not due to lens issues.

So you spend more for the housing but you find yourself with something you can use

With the LX100 I think other than 4K video and land use there is no use for underwater stills, my RX100 Mark II beats it as it takes more wet lenses options

Personally I don't take still that seriously, I have seen people use Lightroom and turn a completely dark still picture into a colorful photo because of RAW file. I have decided video is my primary feature to focus on, and it tell story/behavior better.

I do both. I shoot a nikon D7100 on land and have a set of zoom and tele lenses. However i would not house it I tested it last year and it was a monster. The GH4 seems excellent in video and decent for stills so with a decent investment you have the whole set of things. The LX100 is a bulky camera and would not take it compared to my RX100 to a party or similar. I am just concerned that other than 4K I would do nothing with it

I have been looking at the details and I have some concerns that the acrylic mini dome 3.5" may be a bit small for the camera to focus at tele end and a diopter may be required to improve matters. I think the LX100 has got a filter thread so in theory that is possible. I think around +2 should be needed unless the port is a cut of a 6" dome which is also possible but corner softness will be an issue if you think of using the camera at wide apertures

I am increasingly starting to think that this camera and lens is just to complicated to house properly and I do not see the point of using it without zoom also the lens is too short to work properly for good macro

mmm

I do not see the point of using it without zoom

That was my initial concern too. But to be honest, I'm beginning to get over it. Many DSLR users just put in a WA lens and dome, and use that combo for the entire dive, especially those who uses only Panasonic 8mm lens. So it's acceptable. The LX100 probably won't be as flexible as the normal point and shoot, but in the sense it could require the mindset of dslr shooter, like using the correct port for the desire dive. It doesn't carry the price tag of dSLR setup, especially the need of gear. So it really need some decision making before jumping into the water.

My concern is possible poor quality with the minidome. I think the other two options will be limited but working

The dome option with 26-81mm focal range is the best option for video it is important that optical quality is good or it is all a waste

Sponsors

Advertisements