mcliffy2

Canon 7D Mk II compatibility with existing 7D housings?

This is always the pipe dream when a new camera is released. At a quick glance the layout of buttons looks identical, so maybe there is a chance? Any further insights are appreciated.

Looking forward to finding out. I see two small differences so far. The button to turn the mode dial like on the 5D MKIII would require setting the mode before you close up the housing. Not a deal breaker for me. And the new rotating switch around the joy stick , not sure what the function is.

Fingers crossed, how much fun would that new auto focus system be shooting macro!

Cheers,

Steve

If you're currently shooting with an SPL A-Series with a 5d MKIII, then you're in luck because it has the same configuration as the 7d MKII. However an existing 7d housing won't work. If you have an aquatech, then it's a simple tray and backplate replacement, then you're good to go.

If you're currently shooting with an SPL A-Series with a 5d MKIII, then you're in luck because it has the same configuration as the 7d MKII. However an existing 7d housing won't work. If you have an aquatech, then it's a simple tray and backplate replacement, then you're good to go.

Have you actually tried it in a housing? It sure looks pretty close. Slightly larger, but not by much. If you have tried it, are all controls unusable, or are there some that are usable?

To me it looks like the lens mount has shifted a little.

Have to wait and see, but Im not too hopeful.

Here is a side by side comparisons shot by dpverview. Looking at the two, its going to be very close.

post-4290-0-10067200-1410954342_thumb.jpg

Thanks Walt,

Nauticam and others have come along way in their housing designs since the original 7D came out. I'm sure the new MK II housing when it makes its debut will be much better than the older one, but it sure would be nice to have the choice.

Cheers,

Steve

Size wise it's close, a comparison on Dpreview shows the MkII is 1mm wider, 1mm higher and 4mm deeper. The real problems I see with putting the MkII in the old 7D housing are:

1. I often use the custom settings on the mode dial. On the MkII you have to push a central button to turn the dial, there is no facility to do this on the original 7D housing.
  2. The two controls I use most on the back of the camera are the "Q" button and the joystick control, the Q button is in a completely different place and the joystick control is slightly higher on the MkII so they're not going accessible with the MkII in the original 7D housing.
  3. My wife wants to takeover my 7D when I upgrade to the MkII and I won't have the old housing anyway :)

Thanks Walt,

Nauticam and others have come along way in their housing designs since the original 7D came out. I'm sure the new MK II housing when it makes its debut will be much better than the older one, but it sure would be nice to have the choice.

Cheers,

Steve

There has, but Im still very happy with my old one - they made a pretty good start I think! Hoping it will be possible, or even a third option comes up where a new back is possible, as that seems to be the major area of difference.

Otara

Edited by Otara2

Now that the 7D Mark II's are hitting the street, I thought I would resurrect this thread. I have a Nauticam housing for the 7D and would love for the Mark II to be useable in that housing. However, like those commenting above, there is a low probability of it working out. The relocation of the Q button (which doesn't look to be re-assignable) along with other changes may make this idea a beautiful unicorn. I'm not bothered by the prospect of living with a few restrictions (like not being able to change modes) and compensating, where possible - but it looks like the 7D II will probably require a new housing. I look forward to any hands on feedback! Thanks to all for making this forum such a great resource.

• Like 1

I have the 7D2, picking up my housing from my in-laws tomorrow to check, but it looks a lot closer than I expected.

Im not sure it will be that important though so far, in that for u/w I think the 7D holds up pretty well - most of the things I find really exciting for it from a stills perspective are more useful above water in first impressions (ie better AF and more AF locations great for birds/wildlife, much quieter shutter). For video though its a huge improvement, the constant AF is a whole new game for me, as are STM lenses. I think the mode button might be OK, in that it works fine with the button down, a bit of tape might do the job.

Sorry to tease but will know for sure tomorrow, my housing is one of the early nauticams, so if it works for that, should be a fair chance for Ikelite etc which tend to be less tight.

• Like 1

The result is in and..... no is my take.

First hurdle is the tray, won't fit as the 7d2 is slightly wider. I did some brief checking on how it fits if the tray was fixed, and it looks like it might fit but I didn't feel confident enought that Id set about changing the tray - I suspect that width will be the killer once you try to actually close the housing. Its not a slam dunk though so have to hope someone else is in a position to do more research with a proper tray - I'm guessing the new one for the 7d 2 housing might be fine. This was for nauticam, I'd say there may be more of a chance with ikelite or any housing where the tray has a bit more flexibility.

I tend to agree. I looked over the size specs on the Mark II and examined the fit of a 7D (original) in my Nauticam. It seems like the exacting alignment tolerances of the housings gears and buttons would lead to operational problems. It may be possible to modify the reach or placement of the controls slightly but that (if successful) would impact the use of the housing with the original 7D. And it would probably take considerable technical time and skill to do so. I agree that an Ike housing may stand a better chance of modification due to the simplicity of the design.

Oh well - I thank you for your efforts and perhaps some of the retail gurus could give us their take on the issue. Like others, I'm sure that Nauticam and other manufacturers will bring their latest design and technical advancements to a Mark II housing and it will be a winner. I can't wait to see comparative performance reviews of the Mark II underwater to determine if the switch is worth the cost or perhaps wait until Canon unveils new FF models. Although, as much as my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) kicks in from time to time, the original 7D still does a credible job and I don't feel like I have "outgrown" the camera yet.

I have tried the new 7D MkII in an 7d Sea and Sea housing as well and yes you can get certain buttons to work.. well kinda ... most you will not have access to.... so the answer is no

It looks as if the Mark II is getting high marks for low noise at high ISO levels. Overall. the reviews are positive for it as a sports/action camera.

Edited by megtooth

I have managed to modify my Ikelite 7D house to fit my new 7Dmk2 so i can use it under water.

I have one more thing to fix an that is on/off that is too short now, but i just need longer screw an put some washers between the rod and plastic piece to get it longer.

Edited by MacII
  • Like 1

Congratulations! Can you give us some modification details for the Ike folks (looks like the tolerances are closer for Nauticam)? Otara2 noted above that the Ike housing might have more conversion potential and it looks like you've proved him/her correct! Also, Otara2 thought that the use of a tray from the Nauticam 7D2 housing might serve to make the 7D2 compatible with the 7D Nauticam housing. Does anyone have access to this combo to test out? Thanks!

Yes it was not so hard, i just used the parts in "push button tip assortment" . Changed the short rubber tip to longer ones, then the button´s can be used.

This does not work for 100% of the buttons, but its enough to use the camera in the old housing.

For stabilizing the camera on the plate i just switched on the left pin from the thin one to the one that looks like one with hat on.

http://www.ikelite.com/accessories/9249-control-tips.html

Then camera and buttons (most of them) will work.

The Q button is impossible to reach because it is completely moved to another place.

i have one more thing to fix and it is on/off button that is too short now, but with a longer screw and some washers it will work too.

If anybody want some pictures you can send me a mail to kowik@hotmail.com

Congratulations! Can you give us some modification details for the Ike folks (looks like the tolerances are closer for Nauticam)? Otara2 noted above that the Ike housing might have more conversion potential and it looks like you've proved him/her correct! Also, Otara2 thought that the use of a tray from the Nauticam 7D2 housing might serve to make the 7D2 compatible with the 7D Nauticam housing. Does anyone have access to this combo to test out? Thanks!

We have this back in our Resort but i'm in Europe at the moment. Can get you a result at the beginning of Feb, but i'm quite sure it will be differently sized from my memory of holding it.

The new 7Dmk2 housing has really lovely ergonomics. It's worth the upgrade in my opinion as original 7D nauticams are still selling at a nice price, as they were such a good product in the first place.

• Like 1

They do look beautiful! I am waiting on Canon to release details of the 5D Mark IV later this year (fingers crossed) and get feedback on the performance of the 7D Mark II underwater before taking the plunge for either. A 5D Mark III is not out of the question too - but I agree that the newer housings look to be more ergonomic. Thanks!!

I know this thread is kind of old, but I'd like to bring it up to date. Yes, the 7D housing will work with the 7D MkII with minor limitations. Check my other post at: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55360

I posted some photos of the new controls on my other post.

One step at a time I was able to make modifications on my Ikelite 7D housing to allow it to work with a 7D MkII. I got no cooperation from Ikelite, so I was on my own. The Q button is not reachable, but most all other functions work. Rather than modifying the housing itself, since I still have some 7D bodies besides my 7D MkII, I made new control shafts, so if I need to switch the housing over, no problem. I made a new on-off control, since the original one was marginal at reaching the on-off switch. I made a new control shaft for the AF selection lever. I modified the left-top function knob control. I drilled and tapped a hole in the center, where I inserted a nylon screw, which depresses the center unlock button. I machined a little off the shoulder of the same control to give it a little more in and out range. I removed the plastic spacer washer from the quick control dial on the rear. I had to add one of the longer plastic control feed, or whatever you call them on the play button, and perhaps the delete button. I removed the black nylon screw from the bottom of the camera tray and replaced it with a longer screw, just to make the camera a little more rigid in the housing. There are a number of tiny differences between the two cameras, and some of the existing controls just wouldn't quite reach properly.

I also want to mention, not a single modification was made on the housing itself, two controls were modified and two controls fabricated, so the housing is still 100% compatible with the 7D camera.

I'm about to take the camera and housing to Maui in a couple weeks and will give it a try. I will always have my 7D as a backup. So far, out of water, all of the controls are working. To mention though, there are some functions that will not work, the Q button and the Lock lever on the bottom right of the camera, not a big deal. For a few hours of labor, saved me $1800.00.

The reason I went to the 7D MkII is because of the focus in video mode. I was trying to get away from carrying two cameras, my Canon GL2 and my 30D, so I then went to the 7D but to discover how critical the focus was. I had to stop shooting, re-focus, then continue on, a pain. This camera should cure that problem.

It helps to have a machine shop, over 40 years ago, I built my first movie camera housing, so making these modifications was not a big deal.

Jim emptech at surewest.net

Edited by emptech

My latest update on the 7d housing with modifications to work with a 7d mk2 camera: Diving with Lahaina Divers, Maui.

The 7d housing with the mk2 cam has been on several dives now. I've had two issues not related to the housing combination.

The two stainless steel screws holding the frame to the camera came loose, one screw fell out into the camera dunk tank on the boat. We found the screw less the washer and was able to get it back into the threaded hole. Once I got to the bottom, I used my knife to tighten the screws, as we were ready to go into the water and I had no time to get into details.

I haven't shot much video with this camera and didn't realize it used a lot more battery power than just shooting stills, so I didn't charge the battery from the previous day's dive. I finished my first dive, worked ok, on my second dive, battery died, but the good news, I didn't miss any shots. I think live view uses more battery power, so I shouldn't use that mode unless actually shooting video.

The only problem dealing with the control mods, the control that depresses the center lock button of the function knob needs to be adjusted. It needs to apply more pressure to the button, most of the time it was OK but wouldn't always release the lock to change modes. I installed a nylon screw, need to back it out a tiny bit.

Sorry Ikelite, I would have loved to buy another $1800 housing but it just wasn't worth it, a lot easier to fabricate three new controls, made them from scratch, did not buy the oem controls from them, mine were better.

I've heard rumor the 5d has the same layout as the 7d mk2, if that's the case, a 7d housing would work too.

I will keep you posted on any changes, and finally, when my photos are complete, I will post the location.

Jim

Sponsors

Advertisements