swingninja

Thoughts on external vs Internal filter ?

Hi,

Newbie here (both in terms of scuba and underwater photography) with Oly EM-5 and a Meikon case that has only been tested in my bathtub.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth to spend on an external filter that's attached to outside of your case (i.e. http://www.intova.net/ifred-red-filter/) or just use the one that I already have (normal round red filter, attached directly to the lens). I'm not trying to spend alot of money since I'm just a beginner.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

If it was me I would prefer the filter right on the lens because, unlike diopters, there is no great incentive to take it on/off as needed. The only conditions I can think of where you may want to take it off is in very shallow (<2m or so) depth or perhaps when shooting in B&W mode. But in both cases having the filter in place is not a big drawback unless natural light is in limited supply.

Bart

If you have the red filter installed and you use a flash / strobe then your pictures will have a red cast to them. If you are not using flash then you will need different red filters for different depths. You will also have to reset your white balance at different depths.

Skip the red filter unless you're shooting video. Get use to custom white balance first (if shoot without strobe). If you're happy with the custom white balance, and grow into strobe. Red filter is more beneficial for video shooter.

Red filter can ne benefical to both photo and video in conjunction with custom WB to mantain blue water color and prevent it to become grey/dull.

If you need to use flash/video lights for the foreground (while using the filter) you need to put a cyan filter over the light so subjects will not become redish.

Sponsors

Advertisements