I have both a Nikon 10.5mm and a Tokina 10/17 for my nikon d7000.

Usualy I faithfully use the Tokina for no other reason than force of habit. I always have it at 10mm because I don't put the zoom gear on it (lazyness really).

Of late, however, I have been using the 10.5mm out of whimsy and noticed a few things that it would be interesting to know if they are true or just my incompetance.

The 10/17 seems to focus closer than the nikon.

The camera struggles to focus sometiumes with the Nikon 10mm.

The depth of field with the Nikon 10.5 is not as good as the tokina (I always shoot wide open as I am in limited light).

Here is todays picture: it just seems a bit soft but I am not sure whether this is due to the camera not quite getting focus or the lens:

Iso 400, f5.6 (I had stopped it down for a prior photo and not opened it again) 0.4sec (its on a tripod so shouldn't be any wobble)

10701958_10152789890959260_3608823815032

God post Bob !

I had the same question in my mind since long time . I had both lenses and shooting the D7000 too .

After i bought the 10-17 i had never used again the 10.5 for the only reason of the advantages of having a zoom capabilities on my camera, which can help a lot to change compositions of

certains situations/subjects .

I think that the 10.5 is a little bit sharper and produce less chromatic aberration than the 10-17 but the advantage of being a zoom put the 10-17 as my top choice , specially for the kind of wide angle photos that i made most of the time : reefscapes,big animals and caves.

For static subjects , like wrecks i all probably prefer the 10.5 over the 10-17

Happy shooting

JA

• Like 1

Interesting to hear you say that the 10.5 is sharper..

thanks

bob

That's only my appreciation , i didn't made any test or side by side compare. But anyway if any difference , it's minimal.

JA

Hi all,

The Nikon 10,5 is one of the sharpest fisheye lens in the market, and much sharper then the Tokina 10-17. Many full frame photographers had to stop using the Tokina in high resolution cameras like the Nikon D800 (I know it's a FX lens, but you can use it for circular photos at 10 mm).

Being a fixed lens and a faster then the Tokina (f2.8 vs 3.5-4.5) it's hard to believe that it focus slower.

Depth of field of both wide open, will of course be slightly less in the 10,5 since you'll be using f2.8 vs 3.5 in the Tokina.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Sponsors

Advertisements